Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About three years ago I was on another forum and disputed the wisdom of carrying a Single Action as a daily carry arm. I was immediately challenged and realized I had no experience in carrying one for social use. So about November of 2010 I bought a Bob Mernickle holster and chose my Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special, a converted three screw .357 Magnum. Here is the rig:

I've been carrying this for nearly three years now, and doubt I'll ever go back to my S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum. This my former rig:

The Ruger carries well and is very quick to get into action. I've got another holster on order, a Tom Threepersons style from Graveyard Jack. I'll let ya'll know about that.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nice. I have carried just about everything off duty/concealed in my years. From full size 1911s to 6" revolvers. My favorite that I find I carry more and more is a 4 3/4" SAA in the same Mernickle PS6SA. I just love the gun, the way it fits my hand, how accurate it is.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I like both rigs but I dont understand why U would want the sa over an awesome da like the model 19. I have owned several 19,s and the are great, but of course they arent 44spl either

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
while I like my old 3 screw Blackhawk if I was going to choose between it and a smith 19, I would have to go with the smith 19 for carry. nothing like a snub double action.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Man oh man is that great. While I personally do not carry one I cannot dispute the validity of doing such to those who are well trained in them. I have seen many people handle a saa in a manner that would leave no doubt that it would not be wise to pick them as a target. They are really only a detriment if it comes to a reload and if you need more than 5 rounds of 44 special you went to the wrong place lol. Nice rig!

BTW, LOVE those grips

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Great Ruger. But that exact S&W is my idea of a perfect packin' gun. I have a 3" Model 13 which is close, but not quite.
+1 - I really like my Smith 19 Snubby. Had mine for over 30+ years. I think they are the best .357 Snubby ever made and probably are the "perfect pack'in pistol."

·
Registered
359 Posts
I might have given the wrong impression in my post. I SOMETIMES will carry a SAA in my PS6A when the mood strikes. My main off duty gun is my S&W F-Comp 66-2 in a Wilson LoProfile.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I also have most or all the guns mentioned and am a .44 special nut too. But really, I aint into packing heavy guns all the time. I am fat old and lazy. Most often I carry just a s&w model 40 in my pocket or a 3" tapered barrel s&w model 36 in a pancake. I do pack the heavier stuff in the boonies on my quad. I carried 35 years on my guard job and many 12 and 16 hour shifts. I found I needed the heavy uniform belt and suspenders to keep from mooning everybody.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts