Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,722 Posts
How early is "early?" (What is the serial number range?) Is the gun pictured in its original box? If so, showing the box would be a nice touch.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes gun was made in 1950 I will post another picture including the box.
Box is early hinged lid type.

·
Premium Member
9,722 Posts
Of course the box is the hinged type, since that is the style (Dark brown, hinged-lid, pebble grain with gold end label) that was being used in 1950. Still, the question remains, how early is "early?" Colt made about 6,000 Commanders in the first year, so "early" could be said to have to be a two- or three-digit gun.

I have one in its box in the 2500LW range that I consider to be first year but not so early, but have not lettered it yet to see when it shipped. (I wonder why Colt used what appears to be orange grease pencil to write the serial numbers on the box bottom? It barely shows against the brown bottom.)

It has been my observation that many first-year Commanders are in other than .45ACP chambering. I would be curious to know the numbers of each chambering, but I suspect that information is not available.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Of course the box is the hinged type, since that is the style (Dark brown, hinged-lid, pebble grain with gold end label) that was being used in 1950. Still, the question remains, how early is "early?" Colt made about 6,000 Commanders in the first year, so "early" could be said to have to be a two- or three-digit gun.

I have one in its box in the 2500LW range that I consider to be first year but not so early, but have not lettered it yet to see when it shipped. (I wonder why Colt used what appears to be orange grease pencil to write the serial numbers on the box bottom? It barely shows against the brown bottom.)

It has been my observation that many first-year Commanders are in other than .45ACP chambering. I would be curious to know the numbers of each chambering, but I suspect that information is not available.

[/ QUOTE ]Serial number range is in the 1188-1288 range 1950 production

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Judge,

Don't know if you like the Satin Commander but here is a first year one that I recently culled out of my collection. It is serial number 70SC2003... I carried one of these as an off duty gun in the early 70s... they were great. I had a light weight one but a buddy who collect the Colt Autos talked me out of it... Great guns! Bob Best

·
Registered
666 Posts
Combat Commander

When I bought my new satin finish Combat Commander in 1970 ,it came with a factory attached lanyard ring on the main spring housing

·
Premium Member
9,722 Posts
LS, I just thought of another interesting "age" issue. The manual is probably dated on the back page at the bottom. What is that date code?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts