Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently called Colt to ask about what they recommended to clean my bright nickel Trooper Mark V and 6" nickel Python. Both guns are in nice shape, but there are a couple of dull spots on each (the Python is 30 years old and the Trooper 20 something). The rep at Colt suggested I send them for inspection and evaluation at no charge, nothing would be done without my permission. I was thinking about re-nickeling them, and mentioned this in my letter. I shipped them Fed-Ex on Friday, and got a call on Tuesday from Paul at the shop. Paul couldn't have been nicer and told me the guns were in excellent shape apart from the dull spots, and offered to color buff the both of them, then clean and oil, shipping them back to me via Fed-Ex overnight air, ALL AT NO CHARGE! To re-nickel costs $225 and he thought that the new finish would not be as nice as the older one, plus they have to strip and polish the guns which would alter the lines as he put it, and there was no need for that. The actions and timing were perfect on each, and other then cleaning, he didn't want to destroy the integrity of the guns. He even admitted the old nickeling was a nicer finish then what they could do now. Needless to say I was impressed and happy no unnecessary work was needed, they were honest and didn't sellout for a quick buck. I was worried about sending the guns to Colt after reading all the forum posts, but the negative posts seem to be largely internet rumors, and I made up my mind after reading posts from Dfariswheel, who I trust, that the Colt shop was a good option for revolver work. He was right on the money and anyone that needs work on their Colts should have confidence that they are still an upstanding company. I will take photos and post the final results upon getting the guns back, which should be on Thursday of this week.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
Apparently, due to EPA troublemakers, Colt no longer does nickel plating in-house.

This may account for this statement about a new plated finish not being as good a quality.

Good news on your guns, and a good recomendation on the factory service center.

·
Registered
711 Posts
My experience with Colt service has also been exemplary. I've sent three guns to them and each time the work has been excellent.
I had purchased a Double Eagle 9 mm used and its finish looked rough, like it had been tumbled in a dryer inside of the hard plastic case (a lot of surface scratches). I sent it to Colt for a new ejector and was pleasantly surprised when I had got it back because they had buffed out all the scratches at no cost to me. I didn't ask for it to be done but I was glad they did it because the gun looked almost new.
Currently I have a Python in for some work and am waiting for them to send me the price quote. I have no qualms about sending a Colt back to W Hartford.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I've had Colt rebuild and refinish several guns, including a nickel Trooper a few months ago, and all were returned to me better than new. The service reps are friendly, and the work has always been first class.

·
Registered
13 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pythonguy:
and offered to color buff the both of them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does color buff mean on a Nickel gun?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I sent my Magnum Carry back to Colt after having bought it NIB in `98. It shot a pattern, rather than a group. It was returned in 30 days and it now shoots like it was supposed to. Small scratches were buffed out and it looks like a brand new gun. There was no charge for the service.

I did pay for a new trigger because I had goofed when I attempted to remove the sharp edges. The new trigger was completly smooth with no blood drawing edges.

I was very satisfied with the service and the work done,

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 05-09-2005).]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too was confused at the term "color buffing" but I was told that's what they call it when they do a final polish, regardless of the finish. Perhaps Dfariswheel knows the vernacular having been in the business?

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
"Color buffing" is a very fine polish to produce the finest gloss. The term probably originaled in the autobody business where the final buff with the finest media brings out the "color."

If the nickel is still present (not "flaked" off), it can be shined up to its original gloss very easily. I am surprised you did not just polish the dull spots youself rather than sending it back to Colt. Nickel tarnishes and must be polished periodically to keep it looking like it did when new. Most likely, the dull spots are due to something that attacked the finish in a small way. I have been polishing dull nickel guns for decades and it is easy to do.

It is good to hear that Colt is offering such fine service. Seeing so little activity in the commercial side always makes me think that the "end is near," but apparently there is enough life to keep a service department open.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did use Flitz to polish the dull spots, and the results were OK but certain areas of a white hazing persisted. There was also two raised spots I was worried were corrosion under the nickel. Maybe I didn't polish aggressively enough being worried I would damage the finish further. I called Colt to see if there was a better option for making the surface perfect, and to ask about refinishing. On a lark I sent the guns in, after the service rep mentioned they would clean and inspect the internal action.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found this info on Color Buffing:

"Color Buffing- This buffing operation brings out the maximum shine and produces a mirror like finish. Coloring can take place after “cutting down” or right-away if surface is smooth enough. Loose cotton buffing wheels are usually the best choice for coloring but spiral sewn buffing wheels can be used as well. Brown tripoli buffing compound is a double duty buffing compound and can be used for both coloring and cutting down. White rouge can be used to color chromium, stainless steel, brass, and aluminum. The finest buffing compound is Jewelers rouge a.k.a. red rouge and can be used to produce a mirror like finish on gold, silver, sterling, platinum, and brass."

Hope it works on nickel too!

[This message has been edited by Pythonguy (edited 05-02-2005).]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Latest update,

Colt sent a letter on Friday stating that the Trooper Mark V was fine after polishing, but they recommended the Python get stripped and re-nickeled. I agreed and received the Trooper back today, sent in a nice blue Custom Shop box, and it looks like NEW. The Trooper was all done and sent back to me for free, I couldn't believe it either, the Python will cost $225 and I said yes, kinda suffer with the same thing DHart has I guess. I took a couple of pictures of the Trooper, the action was cleaned and checked, and the color buffing is superb, the pictures don't do it justice. 35 days for the Python at the current workload I was told, and they said it will look like the day it left the shop originally, haven't been disappointed so far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Post Pictures Please!

Let me know if you need me to host them for you.

You can email them to me and I will post them in this thread.

UD

[This message has been edited by uberdog (edited 05-09-2005).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts