Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2007, I purchased this Python. I originally wanted a 4-inch model very badly, and had no interest in a longer barrel. This Python belonged to the brother of a NJ police officer my father worked with. The officer and his brother bought their Pythons in 1977. The police officer used his Python for PPC matches in the 70s. His gun was tuned by a gentleman at Colt. He told me his brother sent this gun to Austin Behlert to have it tuned. It has an Eliason rear, and a very small patridge front. In addition, it looks like the trigger has been widened. The action is beautiful. The owner passed away in 2007. The widow wanted $600 for the gun, and I bought it with the intention of having a 4" barrel put on in place of the six incher. I couldn't find a nice short barrel, so I decided to keep it as is. With the crazy prices Pythons are going for, I'm glad I got this one when I did. Just thought I'd share it with the group.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Very nice condition gun. I bet it shoots great also. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Very nice. In my opinion Pythons look best in 6"

Reactions: Warco

·
Registered
161 Posts
I recently came into a '63 with 4" hollow lug as my first and the balance is amazing but I'd definitely want a 6-8" with better sights for further distanced targets

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My next Colt will hopefully be a Magnum Carry. My father always carried S&Ws on patrol, and for that reason, I am partial to them. He did, however, carry a 4-inch Python for a couple months in the mid-seventies. It was a reblued, and wore Pachmayrs, but I though it was coolest thing with that ribbed barrel and full underlug. Then I watched David Soul killing bad guys (and some good ones too!) with a four inch Python in "Magnum Force", and John Wintergreen's badass 4-inch blue/nickeled Python from "ElectraGlide in Blue". Just too cool. For me, it is the proper "cop's" barrel length - long enough that you're not confused with a detective (Ewww! I say that in jest. I played Dick for a little, but the road called me back.), and short enough to get out of the holster quickly. Although the six inch guns are beauty's, for me they just don't have the visual balance of the four inch guns. It's not only beautiful, but also very utilitarian. Great, now I'm going to have to find a 1971 era four incher. I'm sure my wife will understand where my son's college fund went.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I originally wanted a 4-inch model very badly, and had no interest in a longer barrel.

I wanted a six inch model but ended up buying a four inch 1963 from a friend. Yep, prices are crazy and I'm glad I got the one I got because it is likely to be my only one.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If I can only get one:p ha ha ha ha ha ha:bang_wall: Numbers man numbers. They look better in group of three or more. Its like colt crack, wait a minute Im a little dizzy, Im ok now I think:rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
fine looking piece, Koz!! makes me regret selling my blue 6" a few years ago. i bought it used at a gun show, so selling it at the time did not bother me like it would have if i had bought it n.i.b. today's prices just add to the hurt!! how do you like the sight picture with that post front sight??

·
Registered
202 Posts
I bought a couple of Pythons. My first was a NIB 4" blue that I absolutely fell in love with. No one makes blued revolvers as pretty as Colt. I thought that would do it for me until I was offered a NIB (except no box!) 6" BSS for $1300 last March. These are just the prettiest damn guns ever made. I'd buy a BSS 3" or 2.5" if I had the $$.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I really think you did well to keep it with the original barrel. The front & rear sights are remarkable and you have kept that piece in spectacular condition. Well done!

·
Premium Member
6,206 Posts
If Colt installed the Elliason rear sight, they usually installed the patridge front sight. Your gun appears to have the original ramp sight modified to look like the patridge sight. Patridge sights are available. The python only had one trigger and yours was modified. I can understand the wanting a 4 in. gun for a duty gun even though it will not be carried for duty use. I would offer the suggestion of finding a original trooper in either 38 or .357. It has the same action as the python and is wonderfully balanced. I know as I have one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts