Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first Colt, and I'm pretty excited about it and have a few questions.

First and foremost, did I get a good deal? I live in MD and our moronic internal trigger lock law has outlawed new SAAs. The single almost-NIB gun that I could find in this state cost $1195 and was built in 1996. It has the slightest beginning of turn scratches on the cylinder- they haven't broken through the blueing. It is blued, casehardened, and has the 5 1/2" barrel length.

What would it cost to send it back to Colt and have Ivory stocks installed? Has anyone her eever done that? How does one care for ivory to minimize the risk of cracking and splitting?

Can it be safely stored in its blue paper box without hurting the finish?

Thanks in advance,

R.W.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Congratulations on your SAA purchase.

If you want top notch ivories, don't send the revolver to Colt. Contact either Nutmeg Sports or Paul Persinger. (You can find them with a google search.) Expect to spend at least $400.00 for them. I've seen examples of both and they are absolutely first rate gripmakers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As far as whether or not you got a good deal, as someone else who lives in another state with ridiculous gun laws, I can tell you that when you live in a state like that, all bets are off as far as gun prices are concerned. We don't have the luxury of picking and choosing from a large pool of available guns, but are necessarily restricted to a few and it is a seller's market.

That said, $1195 sounds pretty reasonable for an almost NIB SAA to me, no matter where you're from. Maybe not a steal somewhere else, but in states with restrictive laws, it sounds pretty reasonable to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts