Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is undoubtedly a Colt Custom Gun Shop limited run made for a private organization.

The Custom Shop was famous for building limited production models for individual's or organizations.
You could "design" a special commemorative, fraternal, police, club, or other organization limited run of a standard Colt firearm, and the Custom Shop would make them up for you.

Some of these were often sold by the organization as a money-raising venture, but often, the guns were strictly for the private use of the members, and were never available to the public.

Obviously, an organization related to the Philadelphia PD ordered these.

If you give us the serial number, we can at least tell you WHEN it was made, but unless someone knows something about this particular model, the only way to get the details would be to buy a Historical Letter from Colt.

This is expensive, but will give the definitive story on this gun.

It's not unusual to find that some of these limited production guns had VERY low numbers made, and can be very valuable, especially when they are complete with the original box, papers, and any accessories.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a DS and was wondering when it was made. I am also curious about how many of this particular brand are out there. It is a Philadelphia Police Department Special Edition with the PPD logo engraved on the left side, with the gun rug and box also marked Phila PD Special Ed. Any help is appreciated.

Larry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cool, the serial number is P287xx. I have the box which is marked with the Colt Custom info, as well as the gun rug, also marked. There are a few papers with the box, and from them I can estimate the gun being made in the early 80's. I would be interested in the Historical Letter from Colt, but what is considered expensive? Thank you for the help,

Larry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts