Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, while I'm not new to Colt firearms, I am new to Colt SAA's. I have a few Ruger Vaqueros in .44Mag, but picked up this Colt Frontier Scout .22LR on a whim. Paid $300 for it, locally. Hopefully I did well. I'm a collector as much as I am a shooter, but realize that the finish on this specimen isn't exactly collector-grade.

Appears to be all original. SN is 8709[X]F. Not sure the manufacture date on that. Perhaps I should raise the bat signal for Buckspen in case he can provide some details on this one... :cool:

Anyway, here she is:

IMAG0325.jpg IMAG0324.jpg IMAG0322.jpg IMAG0321.jpg IMAG0323.jpg

Reactions: what would you say

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more pic...

IMAG0326.jpg

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome to the forum... I would say due to the finish wear it's definitely a shooter - and if the bore's good and the gun is tight and a good shooter you paid about what it's worth - imo... I have a few in my collection and enjoy them a lot...

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
You have an "F" series Frontier Scout made about 1959. It appears to be in pretty good condition and $300 is a fair price for one like that. The F series Scouts had aluminum frames, loading gates, ejector rod thumb pieces and grip frames; the barrels, cylinders and small parts were steel. The aluminum parts were anozided to be about the same color as the blued steel. They were made from 1958 to about 1970 and were available in the Frontier Scout configuration with 4 3/4 inch barrels and in the Buntline Scout model with 9 1/2 inch barrels. Calibers were .22 LR and .22 Magnum and in about 1964, Colt produced dual cylinder Frontier Scouts with both cylinders (barrels marked .22 CAL). Dual cylinder Buntline Scouts were not produced until about 1969 and .22 CAL marked Buntlines shipped with both cylinders are some of the rarest variations of the Scout line. A small percentage of Scouts were fitted with plain walnut grips at the factory instead of the black checkered plastic. Some of the earliest Frontier Scouts had unfinished aluminum frames, grip frames, ejector rod thumb pieces and loading gates. The aluminum was not polished and has led some people to describe their guns as "stainless steel". There is one such described that way on the Rock Island auction site right now.
If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

- - - Buckspen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very good detail - thank you for taking the time to post that - I appreciate it. There is a book out there by Don Wilkerson that is about these Colt rimfires. Don't recall the name of it, but I may have to see if I can pick up a copy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts