Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am new here. I just posted in the new members section. At any rate, I went to my local gun shop yesterday on my way to the range to pick up some ammo. Of course I got to lookin and I spied a somewhat worn looking Colt Official Police and ended up buying it. By the serial number it was made in 1943. Some holster wear, but really tight action and a decent trigger. I took it along to the range and put 100 rounds through. Good shooter and quite accurate.I like it.

This revolver seems to be a real tank, very rugged. The epitome of a service revolver IMHO. Since this is my first Colt what thoughts do you guys have about my purchase? I own a bunch of Smith's, but I just keep looking at this new Colt. The design just seems to be so classic. Like something from an old movie. The bottom line is I love classic old revolvers and I really look forward to shooting this baby a lot. I assume it can take it?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Offhand, I would say that you could shoot standard velocity loads for many, many years without any concern. Even a few +P loads occasionally shouldn't hurt it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Great revolver. It is truly a classic. I don't believe it is rated for +P stuff though, but they are strong heavy revolvers. Dfaris will probably give you the lowdown on the ammunition ratings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I will probably just shoot standard velocity ammo anyway. I bought the gun to shoot, but not for personal defense so I will just stick with the cheap stuff.

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
Nice find . It's a true classic that could be called to duty today if needed .
Thousands of lawmen & servicemen "made do" without +P ammo and got the job done . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
72 Posts
Firearms are potentially dangerous tools. A good rule of thumb is to fire only the ammunition for which the gun is designed.
I own an Army Special, predecessor of the OP, made in 1912. I shoot it occasionally, mainly with mid-range target loads. Am I babying it? You bet.
Very accurate sixgun, by the way.
JT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts