Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this NM Gold Cup "New-in-box" in 1978. Paid a lot of money for it and it never was a good shooter, but that's another long story.
A few years ago, I decided to make it pretty.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
This reminds me of the old saying in the hot rod world, "If it won't go, chrome it." In this case, "If it won't shoot, embellish it."

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I was able to make it into a good shooter for a short time. I rebarreled it into an SSK .41 Avenger.
A .41 Avenger was a wildcat developed by J.D. Jones--basically, a .45 ACP necked down to .41 (.41 caliber bullets were more plentiful than .40's)
This cartridge goes way back to the 1980's, predating the .357 Sig.
With 28 lb. Wolfe springs, you could throw 180 grainers at nearly 1300 FPS.
Later, I decided to return it to .45 ACP and just make it pretty.
It was my "jury gun" that earned me "Certified Master Engraver" status with the Firearms Engravers Guild of America and one of several engraved guns Tom Turpin featured in the 2010 Edition of GUN DIGEST.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Don't hide your light under a basket. You can be proud of your skill level, which apparently was recognized by the Guild. Congratulations!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nicely done; it looks like the perfect gun for a barbeque!

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Congrats on the accomplishments. The gun is gorgeous with its variety of colors! And, likewise, the engraving is beautiful!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Brian, I've never been a big fan of engraved guns, but the work you did on that one is just beautiful! As a guy with no artistic talent or skill at all, I am in awe...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kudos.
I totally understand some folks not being a fan of engraved guns and I harbor no ill will about that. After all, engraving doesn't make 'em shoot better.
Usually, it's also because a lot of engraving was done poorly and didn't really enhance the guns' looks. Some people think that if a gun is engraved, it is worth more...not the case.

In answer to a few questions: This is a Series 70 Gold Cup National Match. Bought it "New-In-Box" in 1978 for $314.00 (tax included) I'm still the owner.
It took 7 months to engrave and do the inlay work. The metals used for the inlays are:
24k gold, Rose gold, Green gold, silver, platinum, brass and copper. Since this was a Series 70, I used Lincoln pennies dated 1970 for the copper inlays.
The grips are legal ivory.
...and it's for sale. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts