Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning many S&W revolvers I finally got my first Colt. Found a Colt Officers Model 22 Target from 1930 at a local gunshop here in FL.

I know very little about Colt revolvers so bear with me. I'd like to buy a holster for my new acquisition but not sure what model to buy the holster for. I'm betting no one is going to have a holster for a Officers Model 22 Target so what else will work. I'd like to get something that would have been worn back in the period the gun was produced.

Any ideas?

Joed

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Take the OMT to the store with you and try it in a K-frame holster. It should be close.
E-bay might have someone with holster of that time period.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 09-11-2003).]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Majic:
Take the OMT to the store with you and try it in a K-frame holster. It should be close.
E-bay might have someone with holster of that time period.

(edited 09-11-2003).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bingo! It fits my S&W mod 19 holster like a glove.

Also noticed vintage holsters on ebay but they don't say anything about size.

Joed

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
Any holster that is listed for the S&W "K" frame, the Colt Official Police, the various Officer's Models, original Trooper, or the Python should fit.

Most of the original 1920's/30's style holster makers are long out of business, and the holsters are no more.

One that still offers some of the original types is El Paso Saddlery at: http://www.epsaddlery.com

He makes a holster for autos and revolvers as the "1930 Austin" that was very popular in the 30's, especially with Texas Rangers and Mid-west Sheriffs.

He web site isn't working too well, so email him for info.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
Any holster that is listed for the S&W "K" frame, the Colt Official Police, the various Officer's Models, original Trooper, or the Python should fit.

Most of the original 1920's/30's style holster makers are long out of business, and the holsters are no more.

One that still offers some of the original types is El Paso Saddlery at: http://www.epsaddlery.com

He makes a holster for autos and revolvers as the "1930 Austin" that was very popular in the 30's, especially with Texas Rangers and Mid-west Sheriffs.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks everyone, this has been a wealth of info.

Never owned a Colt before, not that I don't like them. Seems like the prices are sky high on any that I like. This 22 was really to much for me but it looked good for a 1930 gun and I wanted a Colt.

I take it Colt has different frame sizes like S&W? What are they called?

Joed

·
Registered
929 Posts
Re: vintage holsters for vintage revolvers-Heiser & S.D. Myres are 2 of the top old makers for vintage leather;the individual makers would sometimes etch or ink what the holster fit,usually on the rear & sometimes inside or under the belt loop.Look for "OM" or "OMT";frequently faint & looks like it was etched w/ a blunt piece of wood or a pencil w/ no lead.Lawrence used several i.d. systems.Pre-war & early post-war had stamps that might read "COM" or "C38 6" or the like;the 1940's & '50's holsters would be marked w/ a number 2 & "6" meaning group 2,6" barrel & post-1960's holsters will be stamped 502(all this is in addition to the holster model number,as is the case w/ Heiser & Myres holsters-the model # is almost always stamped w/ number dies).If your holster fits & you just want a carry holster,fine-but there is a lot of enjoyment in matching a proper holster from the same time period w/ a nice old Colt or Smith.I'm a collector of 20th Century quality commercial American gun leather;I have quite a few resources-period catalogs,etc. & will always be happy to answer any questions I can.Keep your eyes open at the gun shows & on Ebay(I sell a number of vintage holsters on Ebay)& you'll find the right holster-eventually.
Regards,turnerriver

·
Registered
929 Posts
Here's a couple of photos illustrating what I said.This is a Heiser model 727 for a 6" Official Police revolver(1961 production).I bought this at Tulsa last year-$130.Prices vary wildly-this is a hand-carved,fully lined laced model.I paid $5.00 for a similar holster for a .45 auto,so it pays to shop around.Note the "OP 6" etched on the rear.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
El Paso Saddlery is the successor to S.D. Myers, and still offer most of the old Myers western holsters, as well as most of the US military holsters.

Other good 30's-look holsters are those "Hunter"-style holsters made until recently by Brauer Brothers, and the Hunter Leather company. The holsters look like turnerriver's Heiser holster.
This type of rig was sold in every sporting goods and hardware store until the early 70's.

Many of these are still out there, and can be bought cheap.

If you're "into" leather work, or know somebody who is, Tandy Leather company sells a pattern booklet of the old-style 30's holsters, complete with patterns for various guns, assembly, and carving patterns.

Back when I was still making holsters, I was occasionally asked to build a "retro" rig, and this was a prime source for vintage designs.

Unlike modern holsters, these are very simple designs, essentially nothing more than a basic leather "envelope", so these are fairly simple to make.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are some fine holsters.

I try to buy holsters of the period for all my guns which happens to be 1980 to present. This is my first older gun and presents a unique problem of finding a holster.

Looks like I'll look around a bit and if I don't find anything buy the El Paso Saddlery holster.

Joed

·
Registered
97 Posts
I might mention that El Paso Saddlery's work is really far above the quality of anything usually available through gunshops, and the price isn't much, if any higher because you order direct.

Here's what I mean by first quality work like El Paso Saddlery produces: their holsters really fit the revolver that they are ordered for. The 22 OMT is built on a 41 frame, (not a 38 frame like a Police Positive Special or K frame uses). Beyond that, a great holster fits a particular model. I've just checked a 22 OMT with three S.D. Myers and EL Paso Saddlery holsters. This gun doesn't fit into a holster made for a Diamondback, it is too loose in a holster made for a Python, yet it's a perfect fit in the Brill style holster that is sold as the Austin model which was made for OMT's.

Bobby McNellis is the current owner of El Paso Saddlery. The website just scratches the surface of what they are willing to build. There is a downside: work is done one order at a time. About three months seems to be the average wait. But if you have unusual ideas concerning design and or construction a year can pass before delivery.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bfoster (edited 09-12-2003).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
In addition to the original pattern western and 1930's holsters, El Paso makes the only TRUE replica US military holsters available.

Their Model 1940 is an exact replica of a pre-war Model 1913 Infantry holster for the 1911 pistol.
This is exact, right down to the brass belt hanger, and leather covered trigger guard block, and the 1913 to 1942 russet color.

They made the holsters for "Band of Brothers", the 1912 Cavalry holsters for the movie "The Wild Bunch", and the 1930 Austin Holster for a 1911 as worn by Nick Nolte in the movie he made about a modern Texas Ranger.

Unlike the "replica" US military holsters offered by IMA and others, El Paso doesn't use inferior leather, stitching, or hardware.
Their military holsters are indistinguishable from original USGI WWII holsters.

I bought a left handed 1940 back in the early 70's and it's still going strong.

I can't give a better recommendation than although a holster maker myself, I still wanted an El Paso 1940 since it was so good.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I agree that of current holster makers, El Paso is one of the best producing a very high quality product. However, I have found that their military holster model designations are somewhat confusing. What they call the "Model 1940" is what the US military calls the Model 1916. Their "Model 1911" is what the military called the Model 1912. Their "Model 1942" shoulder holster is based upon the US M7 holster. I must say that there is also some debate among holster collectors about the oft-repeated statement that El Paso is the 'successor' to the famous S.D. Myres Saddle Co. I don't have all of the details, but as I understand it the current El Paso purchasd some of the Myres holster molds and tools and employed some former SDM employees. It did not purchase and does not own the SDM name or trademark. This may be a surprise to some, but the S.D. Myres Co., in its latest iteration, is in operation in Sweetwater, TX, where it originally started back in the late 1890s. The present owners of SDM have to spend a fair amount of time educating people on the fact that El Paso and SDM are not one and the same. The present SDM is a small operation but they are still making high quality leathergoods, and doing so in the same building where SDM operated 100 years ago. The principal of the current SDM has an occasional display table at the Tulsa Gunshow where examples of their work can be seen. Beautiful stuff.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I searched the internet for sd myers with no luck for a website. Found lots of their catalogs but no website. I have a bad feeling they sold their popular molds leaving very little.

Joed

·
Registered
535 Posts
Congratulations! I've owned several of both, too, but somehow, I always prefer the Colt. Mystique, I suppose. Your OM is Colt's l frame or .41 caliber size - smaller than their New Service frame of that era and larger than D frame, like a Detective Special. It's almost identical to the S&W L frame, which it predates by a lifetime. I was glad read yours fit the holsters mentioned. The high sights on your vintage gun can cause fit problems. I'll bet you enjoy the gun and I wouldn't be surprised if your scores go up! For my money, Colt's are always more accurate than Smiths. (Prejudice, I guess.) <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joed:
Thanks everyone, this has been a wealth of info.

Never owned a Colt before, not that I don't like them. Seems like the prices are sky high on any that I like. This 22 was really to much for me but it looked good for a 1930 gun and I wanted a Colt.

I take it Colt has different frame sizes like S&W? What are they called?

Joed

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
929 Posts
A common error w/ S.D. Myres is the spelling of the name-it is "Myres",not Myers.
Inquiries can be addressed to:
S.D. Myres Saddle Co.
205 Oak Street
Sweetwater,Texas 79556.
This info was as of last October when I met Dave from the current incarnation of S.D. Myres at the Tulsa,Ok. fall show-he sold me a beautiful carved holster for a SAA.
Regards,turnerriver

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by turnerriver:
Inquiries can be addressed to:
S.D. Myres Saddle Co.
205 Oak Street
Sweetwater,Texas 79556.
This info was as of last October when I met Dave from the current incarnation of S.D. Myres at the Tulsa,Ok. fall show-he sold me a beautiful carved holster for a SAA.
Regards,turnerriver
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darn, I was hoping for a website or even a phone number. I've seen some of their products and they are very good.

Joed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts