Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 2nd issue that I like so much, I had to go back to the gun shop and buy a 3rd issue also(for carry).

Jeff

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
Oh how I curse this "issue" business! I blame the "Blue Book" as I think that is where it started. I think is it all wrong, at least as stated. The poster states the DS pictured is a "Second Issue," apparently based only on the unshrouded ejector rod and round butt, or maybe its Post-War status. That misses some important "issues" in my opinion.

The square butt DS introduced in 1927 would be "First Issue" in my opinion. When the round butt was introduced in 1933, that would be "Second Issue." Post-War, the ramped front sight was introduced, which would be "Third Issue." The butt frame was shortened in 1966, as pictured, which would be "Fourth Issue." The shrouded ejector rod was introduced in 1972, which would be "Fifth Issue." The SF-VI was introduced in 1995, which would be "Sixth Issue." The DSII was introduced in 1997, which would be "Seventh Issue." One could argue that the matte-finished DS called the "Commando" introduced in 1984 is another "issue."

Like my crusade to stop the use of the military model designations of "M1911" and "M1911A1" in connection with commercial Government Models and "AR-15" for semi-automatic M16 clones of any make or model except the original Colts so marked, I am swimming against the tide. But I keep trying to bring light into the darkness!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts