Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this at a gunshow from a walk-in seller. #65126X, T marked in the crane recess. I will get some wood stocks to replace the coltwood. The finish is mostly oxidized to black with little bare metal showing. There are traces of the blue left around the latch, on the frame above the trigger, and around the top of the stocks. The bore is great and mechanicals are fine. I have a post war coming that is in much better shape but it has not arrived and this one was right in front of me so I went for it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Nice to see a "pre war" has found a good home,gunfish. Your gun was made in very late 1940. You have mentioned replacing the "Coltwood" stocks,with wood,but there is a very small possibility,that your gun couldve been shipped with those "plastic stocks" on it was "final assemblied" during W.W. 2,when the Commando version of the O.P. was in production.

The barrel looks like it is post war,as the pre wars had rounded 1/2 moon sights;yours looks like the "semi ramp" with serrations. Are there patent dates on top of the barrel? and what does it say besides Official Police .38 special?

These are great guns,and that pre war action,will rival a Python! The "T" means the gun was originaly targeted,by turning the barrel in the frame,shooting it,then turning until dead on! And "L" in the recess means just "eyeballed" to get front sight at 12:00! This practice tends to be found only on guns from the "depression era" up to W.W. Two

Please let us know about the barrel markings,as it could have had that sight factory installed on the original barrel,as I have a 1933 O.P. with a wider than "normal" 1/2 moon front sight. Bud

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front sight has serrations, they are very fine but are there, I had to use a magnifing glass to see them. The top of the barrel has patent dates AUG.5,1884.JULY 4,1905.OCT.5,1926. The right side of the barrel is blank. Left side of barrel stamped COLT OFFICIAL POLICE 38. The top strap is serrated on either side of the sight groove. The stocks have marbleing of black and browns, they are not shiney, I suppose they could be that old. The trigger is knurled or checkered. Thanks for mentioning the sight, I missed that detail completly.

[This message has been edited by gunfish (edited 04-27-2005).]

·
Registered
909 Posts
I could be all wet, but it almost looks to me like the original half moon sight has been modified to a ramp. The barrel markings are correct for a pre-war OP, and ramp sights were introduced post-war. At any rate, you've got a great shooter and piece of history. Hang on to the Coltwoods!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Very nice, indeed, Gunfish! I'd've bought it, too! The rough finish on the trigger and checkering on the hammer spur and cylinder release make me think pre-war - no?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts