Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first Python. I know how proud you must be.

You have a very nice, original condition Python with extra nice stocks. The Python appears to have been produced in the mid 70s and seems to have almost all of its original bluing. You should not consider refinishing it as your Python is too nice the way it is and it would definitely diminish the value. Reproduction boxes and paperwork would not add value. Only the original box and its original label, with original paperwork, adds value. The red insert front sight first appeared on Pythons in the early 80s. Like yours, many owners had them installed in earlier guns. These are my suggestions, others will have more.

Best of luck to you and your new Python!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Is that a copy and paste reply? LOL! It is a 1976 vintage to be exact.

Thanks, James
You should enjoy hanging around this forum and learning about your new Python. There is more shared Colt and Python knowledge here than anywhere in the world. The stocks on your Python give away its birthday, within a few years. You might find it interesting to know that they are what we refer to as Python Type III stocks, and are the earliest variation of Type III, first seen on Pythons in about '74. They are distinguished by a slightly larger and more oval symmetry than the later Type III stocks. A thinner and more square Type III stock appeared in about 1978, although there is no date certain for the transition. Your stocks appear to be in very nice condition and happen to be my favorite; they are quite valuable.

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
James I am disappointed that you may still be thinking about refinishing your outstanding Python.

But, I will try and help answer your question. I do not believe Colt stamps any indication that it has refinished a Colt. There may have been a time when it did, but I do not believe it does today. Others may know more about Colt's refinishing practices and I hope they join the conversation.

A refinished Python will always and easily be seen as a refinished Python. The refinishing process results in the significant loss of metal on all of the Pythons clean and crisp edges, corners, and roll-marks. The barrel roll-marks, and the side plate pony will forever be thinned and diminished. Some may point out that for an extra charge, Colt will hand engrave those thinned roll-marks and side plate logo, and restore it to a new appearance. I think Colt will indeed take your money for this service, but I have never seen such an enhancement restore the Python to its original appearance. Beyond the roll-marks, the wonderfully polished sharp and clean edges, from the barrel vents to the contours of the frame, will forever be lost and will always appear rounded, over-polished, and yes, refinished. The loss of metal will result in a noticeable gap where the left side-plate and the frame are mated. This loss of metal will also result in what is referred to as a "dishing out" of the surface area where the frame and side plate screw holes are.

Do a simple search in the Forum for "refinished" or "refinishing" and I'll bet you can find photos of these characteristics that I have mentioned.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that your wonderful Python with its valuable and attractive stocks, is never subjected to the destructive forces of a refinish!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
I'm not considering refinishing it. I think the gun may have been reblued so that is why I ask. I bought some Ren Wax and it did not help. The blue is foggy and not as shiny as I thought it would be. This is not my first blued gun just so you know.

Thanks, James
James, Refinished? Without better photos, I can not see enough detail to know for sure. Can you shoot some photos without the flash of the pony on the left side-plate and the barrel roll-marks? Also the area around the firing pin hole on the interior of the frame (recoil shield area) and the forward surface of the cylinder, with the cylinder opened? With better photos we might be able to help answer this question.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.