Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been very fortunate (at least in my opinion) lately, as I have encountered several beautiful examples of Colt revolvers that have all been in my price range! I know many members prefer new in box, etc but my goal with the pieces of my Colt collection is to have excellent examples that you can shoot (without questioning yourself) but also be proud of if a friend or relative gets to see them. On to the pics and questions!

Please excuse my cell phone pics in poor indoor lighting, I didn't have the chance to take them earlier tonight.

First up is my Colt Officer's Model Match .22. I shot it this weekend for the first time and all I can say is "wow", I now know what a match action feels like and I dream about it at night! I know it doesn't have original stocks, but I like these "target" stocks and they are very comfortable. My question is "Does anyone know if these are an after-market set of stocks (made by a known company) or are they likely something someone made for the pistol them-self (skilled bubba job)?"

Next, is the Colt Agent. It is the parkerized version. I think it is great piece of Colt's history with reference to the strike and how they changed the appearance of their product because of not having polishers. My question on this revolver is again on the stocks. This is a great shooting piece, but I noticed how much it slides in my hand without checkering. Does anyone have checkered grips they recommend for the Agent? This is the model with the built in wood extension. I'd be interested in a checkered stock or like a combat/boot grip, preferably wood. I carry this Agent daily so keep that in mind.

My latest acquisition (today) is a Colt Lawman MKV. I understand that there aren't a lot of these around and I managed to grab one in excellent condition. The only thing is, it has Pachmayr Presentation Grips. Now I have heard that these are comfortable to shoot with but I was wondering if anyone knew which stocks this revolver would have came with from the factory. I looked on Numerich Gun Parts site but they had three options, one of which was for the 2" model. So does anyone have a good source for Colt Lawman MkV factory stocks or at least repros??

Finally I have my Colt Trooper .357. No question on this piece. Just figured I'd include it with a photo or two.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer with any of the questions that I have. I appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,473 Posts
Nice collection. The stocks are not original on the Officer's Model Match. They look like they might be custom made. On the Agent I would suggest a Tyler T-Grip. That is what I have on my Agent of the same vintage. Workers good for me. No ideas on the Mk V stocks. Love that Trooper. Great older Colt you can shoot and enjoy and still see a bit of value appreciation. It is obvious that you appreciate and enjoy your Colts.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Nice start to an additive hobby. There is no such thing as enough or content when it comes to collecting Colt's. Now I will be the first, correction second, to throw a few answers your way. The stocks on the Agent are factory. The stock grips for the Lawman or a checkered wood and much smaller in size than the Pachmayr grips. I don't have an answer to the Model Match grips, but they are not stock. Trooper looks good. Others with much more extensive grip knowledge will be along in a bit. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing.

J

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard and read about the Tyler T-Grips. They sound like a great option, I also love the way they look. Very vintage hard-a$$. I'll look into those and maybe give them a try. Thanks for the comments and support!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Docjpo1980,

I totally agree on the addictive nature of Colt firearms. I don't know how to explain it or why it exists but once you get a Colt you either seem to become a Colt Collector or you move on to other firearms. I started with a WWII 1911 that I received from my father and it has somehow procreated into series of revolvers and semi's. Thanks for the support and feedback!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Very nice looking Colts!! I too had a weekend at the range with my new best friend, an Officers Model Special. I have been told that this is the closest thing to a production .22 Python and I have to agree. When I did my part, it ate the bullseye out of the target. Now if I could just find some more .22LR ammo!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
On your officers model ..they are probably made by sile. They imported stocks from Italy. Get some fully checkered colt stocks...they look the best on this revolver IMO .

·
Registered
127 Posts
I saw Tyler T-Grips at a local small time gun show in central Texas - he had 3 aluminum ones at $25 each in the box and 1 brass one for $30 in the box - I believe in keeping the gun some what original - But I do like the sure feel of the checkered grips - Sincerely, elmersglue

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Depending on the vintage of the Officers Model Match, correct stocks can range from expensive to very expensive to very, very expensive. The excellent condition of the pictured gun makes it deserve correct stocks.

A set of Pachmayr rubber stocks for the Agent would eliminate the problem with slippage in your hand. If you want Colt wood stocks, the stocks from any Post-1965 D-frame Colt will fit your matte-finish Agent. The most hand-filling will be the late "combat" wood stocks most-commonly found on Post-1971 Detective Specials and Post-1972 Cobras. Look on eBay for stocks of all kinds. Pay a lot now, or more later.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have some SAA'a I like to shoot. Took a .38-40 Bisley down to my gravel pit a couple weeks ago and put a box of ammo through it. Surely enjoyed it. I have a SAA in .41 with elk horn grips and a time period holster that I shoot the most.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depending on the vintage of the Officers Model Match, correct stocks can range from expensive to very expensive to very, very expensive. The excellent condition of the pictured gun makes it deserve correct stocks.

A set of Pachmayr rubber stocks for the Agent would eliminate the problem with slippage in your hand. If you want Colt wood stocks, the stocks from any Post-1965 D-frame Colt will fit your matte-finish Agent. The most hand-filling will be the late "combat" wood stocks most-commonly found on Post-1971 Detective Specials and Post-1972 Cobras. Look on eBay for stocks of all kinds. Pay a lot now, or more later.
That is exactly what I needed to know. I knew eBay had some periodically. The price ranges seemed all over the place when I started looking at Colt factory stocks. Some of them reaching $300. I'll have to see what I can do. Maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice looking Colts!! I too had a weekend at the range with my new best friend, an Officers Model Special. I have been told that this is the closest thing to a production .22 Python and I have to agree. When I did my part, it ate the bullseye out of the target. Now if I could just find some more .22LR ammo!!!!!
Agreed. Hands down one of the nicest shooting revolvers I have had my hands on. I shot a friends Python and a .22 Diamondback. Both were amazing but in my mind and for the money (meaning value), the officer model match is king. I am not a bullseye shooter but I could cover my groups with a quarter after I dialed it in with CCI standard velocity. I can't imagine with Wolf, Eley or Lapua what it would be capable of.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have some SAA'a I like to shoot. Took a .38-40 Bisley down to my gravel pit a couple weeks ago and put a box of ammo through it. Surely enjoyed it. I have a SAA in .41 with elk horn grips and a time period holster that I shoot the most.
I understand the collector mind set of making firearms an investment. However when I tried that approach I quickly became frustrated because I just wasn't enjoying the firearms. So like you, I feel it is necessary for me to shoot and enjoy my firearms. Granted I don't shoot my Colts as often as I might shoot a Glock but I do make a point to shoot them all. A single action colt is likely next on my list. I love my double/single actions that I have now. For me and my price range though, it would likely have to be a Frontier .22! Which I'm okay with because I think the duotones are gorgeous. I almost bought my buddies a while back (I think I posted something on here about it) and now I'm wishing I had because the prices of Colts just seem to be rising so quickly. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I understand the collector mind set of making firearms an investment. However when I tried that approach I quickly became frustrated because I just wasn't enjoying the firearms. So like you, I feel it is necessary for me to shoot and enjoy my firearms. Granted I don't shoot my Colts as often as I might shoot a Glock but I do make a point to shoot them all. A single action colt is likely next on my list. I love my double/single actions that I have now. For me and my price range though, it would likely have to be a Frontier .22! Which I'm okay with because I think the duotones are gorgeous. I almost bought my buddies a while back (I think I posted something on here about it) and now I'm wishing I had because the prices of Colts just seem to be rising so quickly. Thanks.
If you live in Florida, I have a duo tone Scout that I will be walking around the local gun show this weekend. Let me know if you are interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts