Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In most cases my pics are too dark. Others I have glare. I've tried shooting pics outside, inside, sunny, cloudy skies, various light conditions inside. What's the trick?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm not the one to tell you "how", I have only recently learned myself, but would like to pass on to you what was told to me, by some GREAT camera people.
First thing ,indirect ,soft lighting, like a "flood light" NOT a spot light. Low voltage to reduce glares, same goes ditrect sunlight, better under a an 'awning' or like a beach umbrella on a table.
I use the pool table downstairs and have two small lamps on either side, again ,all low wattage lamps (40 watts?)
Use a 'neutral' background, nothing bright or lots of colors, plain, like 'gray'(that's what I use)
Use the proper settings on the camera, like'macro' for close-ups and if taking closeups, use a small inexpensive tri pod (mine was $20.00 on sale at the camera store.
With the proper lighting, you do NOT have to use the flash.

All the above are short and simple ,easy to follow and later ,when you get better try different backgrounds, settings, and layouts, set up 'scenes', etc. Me, I want to see the 'object' of my intentions, not some colorful background of "what-not".
Like this........................................

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm pretty clumsy with these new-fangled digital cameras, and have to use a magnifying glass to see what's on the screen, the thing is so tiny.
I use daylight in a large east-facing window, light gray background paper (usually). The Canon camera has a light color setting, or maybe it's white light, that can be set to daylight to avoid a blue picture, since indirect natural light is blue.
Here's a US M1911 Colt.

JT

·
Registered
764 Posts
Nice picture dan.

Could I make one suggestion. I would personally put a spacer inbetween the box and the slide serrations. This would raise the rear of the slide so only the front of the slide and bottom of grip is touching the box. This would allow the light to completely illuminate the slide, allowing u to see the entire rollmark. You would loose the dark area in the middle of the slide. Just my .02

If I do use a flash, I try to stand a little further away and use the zoom, rather than just snapping a close photo. I also tend to shoot the weapon at a slight angle. I seem to think that it helps avoid a direct "flash back" or reflection.

Get a big memory card, and start experimenting.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thank you, I flipped it over and angled the camera a bit, the 3 lights sometimes need to be "centered", you have to really look in the screen of the camera before you snap the picture.
I bought an extra 'memory card' but I erase all the pictures after I load them into the computer, save them there, just a quirk I guess. Found that the DSC numbers started to get the computer 'messed" up , so I "name"them immediately in their own folders (groups)
Yes, I still have a LOT to learn and find out yet! But it's "fun" and a picture is worth that thousand words!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts