Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, most of them, anyway. I was doing some clean up on the early Trooper I picked up last week and I had some revolvers out on the desk so I took this photo. Not an extensive collection by any means nor are the guns collector grade but I still enjoy them.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Cool set of pony's!

Very Nice! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
689 Posts
You are to modest... That is a great looking collection DA Colts... What year are the Pythons???

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Dr. Pig anytime you have six Colts in your barn, you have a collection. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
S.P. can we call the "Medium Framed" Colts(E,I and J Frames) in respect for the long departed Colt New Service,and the recently departed, Colt Anaconda.

Nice looking "roundhouse"(just got back from a railfan meeting!) and glad that they are shot,and not confined to the recesses of a safe/vault for most of their lives!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Administrator
7,302 Posts
Nice SP ! Thanks .
Some of the finest irons ever produced /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
A beautiful set of guns, particualrly the Pythons with the great full-checkered stocks. (How early are they?) The medallions look silver instead of gold in all the full-checkered stocks. Is that just the picture? It looks like even the Pre-War Officers Model is also wearing the full-checkered stocks. So you have some secret source for these scarce stocks?

Not to take away from these beautiful guns, but I have to ask, am I the only one who expceted to see New Services (the real large frames in the Colt double action hierarchy) instead of Army Special derivatives (medium I-frames in the Colt double action hierarchy)?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
"Thanks" for reading my PRIOR post on the frame sizes Judge;not gonna flame you too bad,as Manny M. gotcha pretty good over on the S&W Forum!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to hear from you, Your Honor.

I bought the first set of early target stocks at a gun show about 20 years ago for $5. I had never seen this type before and I liked the way they felt. Over the years I acquired more sets. One from ebay for $15, twice I bought guns wearing them and in both cases swapped the stocks for more mundane models and resold the guns for profit meaning I was paid to accept the stocks. (In both cases the stocks were not original to the guns so I wasn't ruining original pieces.) Just one set cost me dearly. A dealer had a perfect set at a show 3 years ago and I weakened and paid $75 for them. I usually am a real cheapskate but I wanted them.

The Pythons are newer models so the stocks are not correct. Like I said, I like them. As I understand it, the Pythons came with gold medallions and the other models had silver. If true only one set of stocks I have came on a Python and one of the OMs now wears them since I wanted the best ones on the Pythons regardless of which medallions they had.

Yes, this means I have a box full of nice, newer Python stocks since in addition to the take-offs I also bought these when I found them cheap. These may be my retirement investment judging from the prices I see on these.

I know these are actually medium frame Colts, but I tend to think in terms of the D frame being small, the Python and the like being large, and the NS being monsterous.

I do have one monster. Sold in 1917 through the London outlet this .455 was likely purchased by some young British officer on his way to the trenches. Somewhere along the way it picked up a nickel finish and was converted to 45 Colt. I found it in a Utah pawn shop in 1996. Good shooter. Wish it could talk.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
lw, not to hijack Dr. Pig's thread, but being of simple mind, I do not understand your post. Did you write something about frames sizes that I should have read, or that illustrates one of my many mistakes? Does your article disagree that New Service revolvers are THE Colt large-frame double-action revolver, and not I-frames? If so, please cite it to me so I can learn where I went wrong in believing the New Service is the largest Colt double-action frame size.

Over on the S&W forum, this Colt guy makes even more mistakes than I make here. Did someone point out one to me? (What is Manny M.'s "handle" on the S&W forum?) How bad was it? Are you referring to my most recent one there where I had a brain cramp and referred to a K22 instead of a Masterpiece when I meant Masterpiece in comparing an Outdoorsman and a Masterpiece. I KNOW both are K22s, but I did not write what I meant to say. (My excuse is that it was past my bedtime.) A poster going by "lowrider" or something similar has me doing penance for that one now over on that forum. Do I have to be punished here again for the same mistake, or do you refer to another?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Judge; Your statement of "Am I NOT the only one who expected to see New Services...etc". IF you looked at the post I had made EARLIER,I said the same thing!! Thats ALL-Judge.

Seems to me there is helluva lot of NOT reading ALL the posts,and basically just re statements of what other folks had said PREVIOUSLY; a major point of frustration with me especially HERE!

Manny goes by "lowriderfixer"

Bud

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
S.P. can we call the "Medium Framed" Colts(E,I and J Frames) in respect for the long departed Colt New Service,and the recently departed, Colt Anaconda.

[/ QUOTE ]

judge, belive he was refering to the fact he had already corrected him on frame size. remember that old saying "we had better all hang together lest we all hang seperatly for sure!!" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK OK OK... So two replies said the same thing. Don't take it personally. I think a lot of us don't always read all the previous replies before adding comments and duplications of info occur. No sweat.

Like I said, I was aware that the NS was the true "large frame" Colt but I only have one of those and I tend to keep things simple (out of deference to my mind) so to me they are DS, DB & PSS are small and Python, OP & OMT are big.

I do the same thing with S&Ws. The Ks are small and the Ns are big even though I own a couple of Js and I am aware of the Xs.

Manny already owns most of the Registered Magnums in the world, which rare model of Colt is he trying to corner the market on? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sorry that I did not interpret the incomplete sentence quoted as having already stated what I stated. I try to follow my old law professor's admonition that if one reads AT all, one should read IT all, but in scanning the posts, the quoted sentence apparently did not compute as intended in my weak mind. Sorry. Another mistake for my column.

I still like all those full-checkered stocks on Dr. Pig's MEDIUM-frame Colts!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Very nice collection. BTW Judge I was one of the people who expected new services. Not disappointed just surprised!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts