Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Brand new member to the forum, but I've been a Colt owner for years now. As of this weekend I now own two Colt Pythons - first is a beautiful, near mint condition 6" Blue. Here are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure: Python - Album on Imgur

So, this weekend I was visiting one of my favorite places to shoot down in South Atlanta. Sad news, but the owner has fallen on hard financial times in the past few months, and he offered me the opportunity to buy his Python. Well, I thought about it for a few hours, and finally decided to make the purchase. Looking back, I'm glad I did. However, i have a few questions that i am hoping you all might be able to help me answer.

First off, here are the pictures:
20150518_115115.jpg 20150518_115131.jpg 20150518_115143.jpg 20150518_115159.jpg 20150518_115226.jpg

As you can see it's in decent overall shape, but it could definitely use some loving. Called Colt this morning and they confirmed that the serial number dates this piece back to approximately 1968. Original grips were not included, and it appears that someone has removed the factory rear sight in place of the "target style" rear sight that's on there currently. Anyone know what the make on the rear sight is?

Couple of questions... First, I have ordered a Flitz gun cleaning kit from Amazon and want to try my hand at cleaning up the finish. I have done quite a bit of research, and plan to carefully and sparingly apply the polish with my finger, wiping it clean with a new microfiber cloth. Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not this will help the worn finish on my new Colt? Should I skip the Flitz all together, and use Renaissance wax instead? If so, will Renaissance wax help remove some of the light corrosion and fine scratches in the finish?

Lastly, I am considering selling this Colt at some point down the line. Would it be worth replacing the rear sight with a Colt original rear sight? Same goes for the grips. I have seen on Ebay that there are a number of people who make factory reproduction grips... are those worth the money? would buying a set of factory repro grips do anything for the resale value over the Hogue fancy wood grips on there currently?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Your Python looks to be bright Nickel, not Blue (Edit; never mind, now I see the Blue one, it's a beauty). A set of 1968 original grips, an original rear sight (not familiar with the current one) and an original box could easily add $400 to $800 to resale value. I would hold off the Fitz until you hear from an expert here. It seems worn Pythons are almost always more valuable than a "re-finish".

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
Flitz rubbed on with your finger will not hurt a thing....

I have used Semi Chrome polish and it will definitely remove oxidation....

Ren wax just leaves a protective coating....I use it after cleaning with Semi Chrome....

The micro fiber towel will be black when you are done....keep changing spots as you wipe the gun down....

Good luck, RR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas. Think I'm going to give the Flitz a try. I'll be sure to post updated pictures of my results.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Nice 4 incher. I've used Flitz on SS with good results, but have had fantastic results with Pre-Lim (Renaissance product) on Nickel guns, which is a mildly abrasive paste designed for non-scratch cleaning. Also agree with RR to apply with fingers. Use Ren Wax (after the Pre-Lim) to protect the guns finish and help prevent rust. Apply both products sparingly w/fingers. These products can be purchased from: restorationproduct.com

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
An original Nickel Accro rear sight might be a little difficult to find. Grips no problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts