Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Here's my latest shooter -- an Officer's Model Match manufactured in 1956. Chambered in 22LR, it's a joy to shoot! I do believe I will be taking off the original grips though, they're in very, very nice shape and I hope to keep them that way!

(Just back from the range)

(post clean & wax)

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
If you want a nice set of replacement grips, contact John Culina in Kalifornia. You can choose the wood, mediallions and checkering. The last set I got was done in American Black Walnut Burl. I did the same thing, put the original grips up in a safe place to preserve them.

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think so as well. Very odd pattern to the finish wear. Trigger has the same marring.

I I noticed the original grips are light, much lighter than my Python grips. Different wood maybe?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Those OMM's are great shooters and loads of fun.
I believe i would also put those originals away and pick up
a set of grips from Culina.
He made me a set of smooth combats for a model 19 S&W
out of a dark chunk of Walnut and they are gorgeous.

Chuck

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a good shooter, very accurate, but she needs a bit of work. The barrel/cylinder gap is nearly non-existent. Less than .002", which was the thinnest my feeler gauge went to. After my last problem with Colt itself (Python is still there!), I believe this will be going to Frank Glenn for a tune up and maybe even an action job!

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Don't send it to Ford's for finishing without communicating with Rick Bowles
on this forum. He has posted about problems with guns they recently re-finished for him.

I believe most of the 22 OMM's had very small clearance between barrel and cylinder
face. Mine are like that.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
One of my target .22 Colts, a Police Positive Special, has a very tight cylinder to barrel gap. After a half a box of ammo, it sometimes gets too tight to rotate smoothly. I just put it away then, and clean the face when I get home. But they can be pretty tight. A tuneup would probably fix mine, and yours.

On refinishing, I would not touch it. You'll take a 95% original finish gun (with just 5% surface messed up) and turn it into a 0% original finish gun. Not worth the cost, and it may not look that great when you're done. I'd shoot it as is, not worrying about the trigger and barrel marks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I agree, I'm not refinishing it. Really it's the cylinder binding that concerns me. i started to get some major dragging, and even a slight turn ring on the cylinder face, so I think it needs to be addressed unfortunately. This was after maybe 90-110 rounds too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.