Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below are some pictures of my newly acquired, Ruger GP 100(With included accessories)to go with my Python(Also shown below)! Take note of the original Ruger wood grips(Long discontinued)that was a very lucky find! Let me have your opinions of this GP 100 etc.?:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
OK, you asked for it... LOL
Just jokin'.
The GP100 is not in the same class with the Python (my opinion). You will never find any writers doing any comparisons in any of the gun mags between the 2 that's for sure.
The GP100 was one of my very first revolvers.
I no longer own one and have purchased MANY Colt & S&W wheelguns since that GP100.
I felt that the GP100 was nowhere and I mean not even close to being as smooth action wise to the Pythons, King Cobra's, 66's, 686's, 27's, 60's, 19's and so on that I've since owned. I felt the GP100 was also bulkier weight wise as well.
***That being said, the GP100 is a "GREAT" gun in the respect that Ruger built it like a brick shit house. Those GP100's will out last your's and my lifetime & our kids lifetime with proper care. It seems to be built like a tank. It's not smooth (action wise) or easy handling (due to weight/bulk). But it's a great gun for what it was built for, and that's to shoot the snot out of it.
It's kinda like an old Army troop truck vs a Cadillac Escalade.
They both will get you there, one is just a little smoother & sexier when you arrive.
Nice gun, congrats.
Thanks for the pic.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)
P.S. I think you will like the Hogue fingergrooves when shooting your Ruger. I found that the original rubber with wood insert grips, pushed my top finger into the trigger guard with hotter .357 loads. It was painful after extended shooting sessions. The Hogues cured that problem and it was much more fun to shoot that way.
Enjoy.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i must agree with jeff.in all fairness no production revolver can be fairly compared to the python. the ruger is a very durable revolver, its investment cast frame is bulkier because it`s cast not forged.it was made quickly with minimum hand fit and finish to compete in a very competitive market, ruger can make a dozen in the time it takes to polish 1 python for blue.the python is a well bred horse, the ruger is a farm mule. both have 4 hooves and a tail but you wouldn`t pull a tobacco wagon with a fine horse and the mule aint never gonna make the derby.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
To be honest I always liked the Security Six over the GP-100. It balanced much better for me. If you needed a stronger revolver there was the Redhawk which may have been the strongest .357 mag DA revolver on the market.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Everything has its place - the Ruger's place is in the toolbox in your pickup, and the Python's place is in your holster at the barbecue!

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Your Ruger is alot more durable than the Python and will take much more abuse before it needs work. The Python looks better and has better fit and finish, but weaker clockwork.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I pretty much agree with everyone's opinion so far. I had also shied away from buying a GP 100 until now. Like Majic, I had prefered the Ruger Security-Six and I just had no desire to own the heavier and bulkier, GP 100. However, I decided that with the rubber grips on the GP 100, that shooting .357's should be fairly pleasant to shoot? So, I had halfway kept my eye open for a good used one(At a good price). Then, this GP 100 popped up! It attracted me with a fair price, and because of having all of the nice accessories included in the deal-along with having a much nicer trigger pull than the majority of GP 100's that I had sampled, in the past! And, to top this off, it was in great condition! And(Of course!)I knew that these Gp 100's were as tuff as nails-but, never did I believe that it could ever be in the same class as a Python! However, for a shooting tool, I prefer tanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a 6" GP100, and I love it. As the others said, it fills a different niche than the Python, but it's not as crude as it sounds. Some complain about the action, mine is pretty good. It wasn't so great at first, but it's getting better with use. If it's rough, try some dry fire practice (make sure its unloaded, of course) and that will really help smooth it out. And yes, dry firing is perfectly harmless to the GP100. And make no mistake, the GP is no crappy gun. It does what it was intended to do so well that its scary.

That all being said, you're going to love your ruger. It is really strong and durable. It is also very, very accurate. Mine likes 125gr. loads the best, as long as they're jacketed. IT'll shoot lead very well too, but the somewhat comparatively shallower rifling is better for jacketed bullets.
Enjoy your Ruger,
Chevy_Guy1977

PS, be sure to check out rugerforum.com

·
Registered
715 Posts
I like GP-100s, I don't understand why so many people don't care for them /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, it's part of my "big three" Magnum wheelgun set. While I agree the action is not as smooth or light as the others, the Ruger is a nice gun overall and still a great value:

·
Registered
991 Posts
I had a GP-100 and didn't care for it too much. Actually, I sold it after the first range outing.

I was told it is easy to vastly improve the pistol's performance by merely purchasing one of these spring kits:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=731&title=PRO+SPRINGS

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/P...NE"+SPRING+KITS

Probably should have given this a second chance since they are so cheap.

I have a single-six that I would never part with, and I have always liked the Blackhawks.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hummer II against a Jaguar! I agree the Security Six is the better gun. Bill Ruger said he never made a nickel on the Security Six, too much hand fitting in production.

Butttt! Whatever floats your boat. Have fun with it. Just wear a belt, so it doesn't pull your pants down!

·
Registered
345 Posts
My opinion is keep it around for your test loads.I hear they handle some pretty hot loads.Must be some macho thing I guess,is why they stay around.My suggestion is as always.If you don't like or can afford a Colt,go with a Smith.I compare a Python and a 586 in about the same league.The Python is of course smoother on the action and fit of the parts.I've tried both and they shoot about the same pattern on paper.But I'm no serious paper shooter so it's JMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts