Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ON another post, I mis-spoke when I said what I said about a business here in Houston called "Collector's Firearms".

Another member here said they were good people and would "work with you" and didn't charge extra for this and that....

I basicly said his statement was BS and said their website said otherwise....

WELL I WAS DEAD WRONG, and want to set the record straight!

As we were talking I was thinking of another business here that I am unimpressed with named Fountain Firearms that I see on GB frequently.......as we were talking about high prices, Houston Shops, and GB, I just fumbled the ball and spoke too soon.

As far as I know, Collectors is a fine establishment and I am sorry for anything I said that was misleading......while I have never done business with them, I have NEVER heard anything bad about them.

Lee

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thanks for the post. I really like them. Their prices can be a bit on the steep side. I think all the new Colts they have listed are high. I've never tried to negotiate a price because I do the layaway thing, and I don't believe it's proper to haggle when your basically asking someone to do you a favor.

You were correct in that they normally don't do the layaway until a gun has been posted for at least two weeks. I think they did this for me because I have become a fairly regular customer and talk to them alot.

If I lived in the Houston area, I would definitely make it a point to see their store. Ask for Danny or Roger and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will take you up on the invite/suggestion and visit them.

If there is anything there you want a second set of eyes to look at, make sure you give me a shout and would be happy to make time for the trip on your behalf.

This does not mean I'm an expert, however if there is something specific you want me to look at/for and don't want to show your "hand", then I would be happy to look for those particulars as an unsolicited 3rd party.

Once again.....sorry for my knee jerk and think if you look at Fountain FIrearms, you'll see what I mean.

Lee

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wasn't really impressed with Collector's Firearms prices, but they do have a great selection. I haven't been to Fountain's yet, but I plan to.

When I get up to the NW side, I'm planning on checking out Jim Pruett's place on Huffmeister. He and Mark Stevens were fun together on KLOL, and I want to meet the other half. Mark told me Jim has a GREAT shop and that his son is running it now that Jim's back on the radio.

HH

·
Registered
267 Posts
As a guy who frequently buys from both shops, I find your comments interesting.

I find fountain, particularly Oren Fountain to be quite nice, helpful and he remembers me by name. He and Sloan (his brother) have helped me out many times. I have been going to their store now for over 15 years. They remember the type of guns I have bought from them (mostly collector's grade S&W's and Sig 210's). I have had Oren email me about nice S&W's that just came in, I have had him order custom Baer's, SIG 210's and H&K P7PSP's for me. I picked up my Python from them (Oren recommended it to me as being very cheap) and he had the Colt 380 I was looking for.

I was just in there last week picking up an internet order for a 30/30. They did not mind that I was using their shop mostly as a shipping site and were happy to help out. All in all I would rank them downright "good guys". My bet is you must have just gotten them on a bad day.

Collector's has nice and expensive stuff. It is generally top quality, and top prices. My problem with Collector's is I never get the same dealer when I go there. I have not yet really developed a relationship with any one salesperson. That is not a dig on Collector's, more just an observation. I tend to surf the website every day. I see something I want and I either just go and procure it or I watch for a while and then buy it later. I have found that Collector's will almost always give a nice discount for cash (unless it is fresh on the web site) and are very helpful with advice and "gimme's".

For example. I bought my first sig 210-6 from collector's. I had no idea how to take it apart, so they showed me how to do it, and then I asked about tools and mags so they gave me 2 mags for free. That was an extra 150$ worth of mags. Do I remember that? Heck yes. When I bought my Dan Wesson 722 from them (I HAD to have the serial number for my collection), I asked about a carry rug for it and they gave me a new one of my choice. When I bought my 38/44 Outdoorsman from them, they gave me an extra set of grips.

Now, did I get the best deal financially? No, I offered cash only, asked for the best price and then I take it or leave. Did I ask for extra's after the sale was agreed to? Yep and I got it in many cases. As a business person, I figure we both are happy with the deal or we would not do it.

So, there is my assessment of both dealers after having bought many guns from each over the past 15 years. I hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[ QUOTE ]
As a guy who frequently buys from both shops, I find your comments interesting.

I find fountain, particularly Oren Fountain to be quite nice, helpful and he remembers me by name. He and Sloan (his brother) have helped me out many times. I have been going to their store now for over 15 years. They remember the type of guns I have bought from them (mostly collector's grade S&W's and Sig 210's). I have had Oren email me about nice S&W's that just came in, I have had him order custom Baer's, SIG 210's and H&K P7PSP's for me. I picked up my Python from them (Oren recommended it to me as being very cheap) and he had the Colt 380 I was looking for.

I was just in there last week picking up an internet order for a 30/30. They did not mind that I was using their shop mostly as a shipping site and were happy to help out. All in all I would rank them downright "good guys". My bet is you must have just gotten them on a bad day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your input. My neighbor has delt with them twice and has nothing good to say about them; I shrugged it off and figured it was him, the deal, or a bad day for FF.

As I became a GB-buyer/shopper, I found that Fountains conditions unreasonable and much different than Collectors. I feel Fountain's prices are as high as COllectors (based upon GB-postings) yet their terms are not as flexable. The one time I did call to inquire about a firearm, once I told the person I talked to that I was here in Houston, and he didn't really want to disclose much info over the phone and "wanted me to come in".

I understand this sales tactic and understand this is business, but don't tell me to call in the ad to then act like a used car salesman (IMO).

While I said nothing to degrade FOuntain in my previous posting, I DID say that did not have the credit card, layaway, and "easy dealings" as our other frined here suggested Collector's has.

I am interested in an E-Nickel Python Fountain owns, yet have not even bothered to go and look at it based upon my one phone call to them, neighbor's complaints, and the listing prices of them on GB.

Lee

·
Registered
778 Posts
We are casual collectors of the 3 major brands of revolvers. Most of the guns that are being sold at Collector's, and others that are pricey, are available somewhere else more reasonably.

I do find models we perhaps were not aware of at the big dealers sites, and then look elsewhere for a decent price. We find Colt Officers Models in local gun shops, pawn shops, and at net auctions.

From my point of view, I guess it all depends on how badly I want that particular model as to wether I wish to pay an inflated price, or want to look some more, and find it more reasonably.

Pays me to be patient!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a bad experience with Collectors firearms earlier this year. I had seen their site on the internet and saw a beautiful Python I really wanted. I called the company on a Saturday and spoke with Paul. He was pleasant and I asked about the Pythons listed, as to their condition. He said he'd look over the bunch and call me back as to his opinion. I was undecided between two guns and we worked out a deal for the both of them, two older, gorgeous Pythons. I gave him my CC # and told him I'd send the signed FFL on Monday. So, the guns all paid for, the FFL went out Monday as planned. One week passed, I called Paul at Collectors and asked if they got the FFL. He puts me on hold, comes back and says no. He was "Mr. Nice guy" on the day I was buying, now he says "I have a customer I have to go" no I'll call you back, nothing. Another week goes by and I call again, aske for Paul, he picks up and I identify myself, he says he's busy and takes my number for call back, never does. I call again, he sounds aggravated and puts me on hold, comes back and says they never got the FFL. I went back to my FFL dealer whom I had called twice to check if he sent the forms, and he again said he did, and he can't resend them without another fee. I was screwed, I call Collectors that night and asked for a manager, I believe I spoke to Gary, I explained it all to him and he said is there anything he can do, I said I just want a credit card charged back because if there are problems like this I don't want to recieve a gun with a problem and have to go through more grief. He offered to take some money off, it was an $1800 deal for the two guns, but I was so mad I said no thank you. To add insult to injury, I called my FFL about the incident telling him I won't be having the guns shipped, and he said he called Paul and Paul said the FFL had arrived and I didn't know what I was talking about. Now when my FFL called Paul, he had already known I was stopping the order, I had already talked to Gary, so he was making me seem like the bad guy for spite, because I'm sure he got some grief for losing the sale. So, that is the long and short of it, they have nice guns, are expensive, and if I could buy in person I'm sure it would be better.

Oh, and a big F_ YOU to Paul, you thought I'd forget, didn't you. Karma baby, its a bitch. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

·
Registered
35 Posts
You are 100% right manderson, I wrote a letter to him about this and he responded with a phone call defending his stance. I told him being that I was a customer who had bought guns at his shop and used his range I thought I'd get better consideration. I told him I expected at least to get some range time for the money I spent on the FFL, not that he had to, but it would have been the right thing to do. He was more on Paul's side then mine, so I told him I'd never set foot in his shop again, nor use the range, I'd go to the town ranges instead. Then I asked him how many guns would Paul be buying in the next year? or how much range time would he use? I usually use an FFL near my job and he gives me the signed FFL to send out and never charges till the gun is turned over to me, I was giving my local gun shop/range some business, and this is how I get treated. Something to think about when the small gun shops complain about losing sales to the internet and they claim they give you service, mine didn't, and got mad at the letter I sent telling him so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts