Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new (to me) Model 357. It is a little worn. I was told by the seller that this was a LE duty weapon. It seems to fit the bill as there is plenty of ear consistent with being carried in a holster. I haven't shot it yet but the action is nice and tight at lock up, (totally different than my Smiths) no end shake and the trigger pull is really nice.

This is my first Colt and I wanted to start small. I was able to get this piece, shipping and my FFL charge included for $230. I figured I couldn't hardly get a dern used Taurus for $230 and I got a real pony on the side made in late 1958 or early 1959! Yoo hoo!!

Sorry about the quality of the pics. I'm a newbie at the posting images thing.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey, Nuclearmike
Great buy on that 357! Heck, for that kind of money it's hard to find a revolver to THROW at something, much less shoot. A fine gun. Congratulations.
Don

·
Administrator
7,326 Posts
Nice Mike ! You did fine . /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My 357 shoots as well as any revolver I've ever fired and that's in the hundreds . The DA pull is wonderful . It's almost as if you can't miss .

I think they are still a "sleeper" in the gun market . Great value in Colts .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You seem to have the same silver medallion grips I have. Are these correct for the period, i.e. late 50's? I took the grips off and the screw beneath them has a flat head. I believe I read here that that indicates they may have come with service grips originally.

Mike

·
Administrator
7,326 Posts
Yes , the grips are period . They will have full coverage checkering .

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,802 Posts
Nuclearmike

Usually on Colt's with Target grips, the side plate screw under the grip has a flat head.
This is to allow the grip to lay flat.

Guns with a round head screw were for the service grips.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I had it backwards. Duh!

I need to get an ejector rod knob for it. The threads on the ejector rod look OK so I think it will be an easy replacement job.

BTW, I showed it to my wife last night and she liked the heft and the trigger pull. I think she claimed it for her own. And, my two duaghters like it because it has a horsey on the side.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing is killing me about this 357. The trigger is serated and the dang thing is almost sharp. I was thinking of taking a polishing wheel on a dremel and taking the edges off. Any suggestions?

Mike

·
Registered
807 Posts
NuclearMike:

Congratulation's on finding a great Colt .357 revolver! Following are some pictures of my mint(Engraved)Colt .357(Circa, 1960)after I had temporarily, "Dolled" it up for display, with some nice wooden Colt target grips: :

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,802 Posts
Nuclearmike
The older Colt's did have rather sharp triggers.

If you grind or otherwise alter the trigger you will degrade the value of your gun significantly.

Most of us just develop a nice callus on the trigger finger and leave the gun in it's original condition, since these are rapidly becoming collector's guns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts