Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here it is. I wanted to post some pics along time ago, but it just so happened that the camera broke the day I got my MKIII Officers Model Match. This one was made in 1969 and was only fired once at the factory. As you can see the person that bought it new like to open and close the cylinder without lining it up so there is the dreaded drag line. Oh well. She is a beauty though. From what I read on it and from the wealth of knowledge on this forum, it was only made in 69 and 70. A total of 496 of them. Lucky me, I've got one. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
FC

·
Registered
778 Posts
Now there is one I have never seen before.

What a beautiful Officers Model, and rare one at that.

Don't worry about the turn ring. Most revolvers have one, because knuckleheads just have to open the cylinder over, and over. Most of us have just learned to live with it.

Sounds like it is going to be a safe queen.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Just curious, is this the oldest Colt that has the vented rib barrel?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Now that would really round out a J frame collection. BTW, on the MkIIIs and most if not all later works, the bolt does drop shortly after coming out of the notch. Therefore, careful closing is good, but the line will develop from cycling. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
178 Posts
Congratulations - a very nice looking revolver. Are you going to shoot it?

John

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, is this the oldest Colt that has the vented rib barrel?

[/ QUOTE ]
the python, introduced in the 50`s was the first colt{or any u.s made}revolver with vent rib as standard.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
on the MkIIIs and most if not all later works, the bolt does drop shortly after coming out of the notch. Therefore, careful closing is good, but the line will develop from cycling. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
A1A is correct, you will notice the larger lock notches in the cyl. and short wide leads, very different from the early style action. all medium frame used this method post 68 save the python. the d-frame guns kept the old style action till???

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the compliments. It is a nice revolver and a lucky find for me here in Kalifornia. I don't plan on shooting it, not because I don't want to, but because of it's rarity. I'm gonna keep shooting my Pythons and Anacondas for now.

FC

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
the d-frame guns kept the old style action till???

[/ QUOTE ]
Until they were discontinued, I guess, because the successors are the Small Frame (SF, DS-II and Magnum Carry) also with a very quick bolt drop. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Although there have been some posts about vented ribs on MkIIIs as a transition or clean up of MkIII frames with MkV barrels, I suspect the vented rib was the key standard difference distinguishing the OMM MkIII. It would be interesting to know if there was other special attention or features. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
FCinCA:

Congrats on a very nice gun!

icdux1: Thanks for clearing that.( Obvious answer of course /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ) DOB of this gun is 1969, but when did Colt start making these? I'm not going to ask how many where made because that's an answer only Colt knows!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts