Colt Forum banner

my new army special

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  DWalt 
#1 ·
Ran into this Army special today and couldn't resist. Serial is 423xxx. would make it a 1917 if i looked it up right. my question is it just says 38 on the barrel so is it 38 special, 38 long colt or....? 38 special chambers fine but overall length of cylinder is a 16th of a inch shorter than my 61 cobra. Even if its long colt can i shoot 38 special in it? sorry about the lousy picture;)

See less See more
#2 ·
Your Colt 'Army Special' is chambered for .38 Special.

It is alright to shoot .38 Long Colt in it also.

All .38 Army Specials, right from the get-go, were meant for .38 Special.

1917 seems right for that Serial Number.

Post some images showing the whole Revolver!

Many Army Special fans ( me included ) here who will enjoy seeing it!

#12 · (Edited)
Those are Gen. 3 targets (Python) and worth a couple of hundred bucks (or more) by themselves if they are as good as they look. Standard AS grips are black hard rubber with sort of elaborate checkering (see picture below). I think replicas are available. You may already know but the Army Special is essentially identical to the later Official Police, except for the name. I have a .32-20 OP (ca. 1931) and a .32-20 AS (ca. 1911) pictured. Both are somewhat unusual and seldom seen and I love them both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.