Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded for this pistol. Have never owned one before although I have had several Govt. Models in 45 auto. At the range today, I was amazed at its accuracy and ease of handling. I have had a love/hate relationship with 380 autos for years but this pistol is definitely a keeper! It is more accurate that my Walther PPK/S at the plate range, and has far less felt recoil. Shooting handloads of a 95 gr. FMJ bullet over 3 grs. of Bullseye functioning was 100%. This is the first of these for me--in my opinion, Colt or someone else would do well to re-introduce it.

Would be interested in others opinion, plus anything to watch for.

·
Registered
526 Posts
ALWAYS wanted one of these...

blue, finish at about 85%, ive a couple shekels available...

id be happy...

congrats

·
Registered
267 Posts

Watch for peening of your lugs and slide. If you beat them up too much it is terminal for the gun. There is no repair. The problem is the slide stop is drilled too low and the barrel lugs are not tall enough or tough enough. Regardless of the reason, if yours start doing this, then it is only a matter of time till it is done. I now am very protective of mine as its life is finite. It took less then 2000 rnds to do this to mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Govt. Model 380 things to look for

Thanks for the tip. I took mine apart and all is well for now. Do you shoot hotter than normal reloads or factory ammo? My reload is basically equal to factory velocity.

James NRA Patron Member

·
Registered
267 Posts
No, my standard was 3.8 grns of unique with a 90 grn Seirra to .984. That would be "mild" load in general.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep

I recently traded for this pistol. Have never owned one before although I have had several Govt. Models in 45 auto. At the range today, I was amazed at its accuracy and ease of handling. I have had a love/hate relationship with 380 autos for years but this pistol is definitely a keeper! It is more accurate that my Walther PPK/S at the plate range, and has far less felt recoil. Shooting handloads of a 95 gr. FMJ bullet over 3 grs. of Bullseye functioning was 100%. This is the first of these for me--in my opinion, Colt or someone else would do well to re-introduce it.

Would be interested in others opinion, plus anything to watch for.
I have one of those fine little Pistols. I sent it into Scott-McDougal and had some work done on it. They put a NOVAK rear sight, a new front sight, dehorned the entire gun, reworked both of the clips, and turned in into a very accurate pistol. I am not sure about this, but I think that KAHR owns the patent for this pistol, and in a legal action with COLT agreed not to continue with a law suit if they would stop making them...This just what I was told, and don't have offical word of any kind.

PIMAN

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually, Kahr's legal action with Colt was over the Colt Pocket 9- made only in 1999 for that reason. Kahr sued Colt and won the suit. Colt ceased making the Pocket 9 as a result.
Too bad. The Pocket 9 had a few rough edges but was a work in progress.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Actually, Kahr's legal action with Colt was over the Colt Pocket 9- made only in 1999 for that reason. Kahr sued Colt and won the suit. Colt ceased making the Pocket 9 as a result.
Too bad. The Pocket 9 had a few rough edges but was a work in progress.

Yes, I got to handle another Pocket Nine at my favorite fun shop yesterday. Just not been able to force myself to open my wallet for one due to having other mouse guns already. Maybe some day tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts