Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my new "heavy rifle", an LE901 in FDE. I have been searching online for months with no success. I went to a local gun show this weekend and there it was! And only $1549 new! I cleaned it then took it to my local BassPro and zeroed it with an ACOG TA11E at 100 yards. Fired 70 rounds and it worked flawlessly! Even with my old eyes, a poorly lit range, and a 3.5x ACOG I was shooting 5-round MOA groups. I am very satisfied with my new Colt - a quality rifle. The pic shows everything that came in the box - even a card with instructions how to purchase the 5.56 adapter block conversion kit (available from Brownell's for $216.99 - out of stock).

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

Attachments

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
i have one and they are a blast , you did well congrats!!!!

the only thing i would do(still haven't done it) would be to change the trigger. don't want to pull the trigger (haha) on a new one just yet, pricey !!!

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
It looks like same model I purchased in December...haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I'm looking forward to doing my own side-by-side comparison with my AR-10.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Any recomendations on a new trigger?
I installed a Geissele SSA-E (Super Semi Auto Enhanced) in my LE901 and it has been a superb trigger, I highly recommend this trigger for this rifle. Just make sure that you order the 901 pins if you decide to go that route.

Reactions: Maddmax

·
Registered
606 Posts
Any thoughts on a scope? I am using a Trijicon TA11E right now.
I also have a TA11EG on mine as well, I also have a Leaupold Tactical 3x9x40 mounted on a LaRue quick release mounts. Works great but could use a little more power. Here is what I am getting out of mine with the setup I have at 100yds with my handloads, I have shot it out to 300yds as well and grouping was very tight, but would prefer some more magnification for longer distances, that will be next on my list.

Reactions: Ron7624

·
Registered
606 Posts
Damn!! Sorry for the big picture... don't know why it did that...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought mine when they came with the 5.56 adapter conversion kit. It's been a great shooter from day one. My 6940's upper fits it like a glove. I've been happy with my Nikon 308 mounted on mine.

·
Registered
413 Posts
For the Colt LE901, I got a SWFA HD 1x4x24mm Tactical Scope with the illuminated donut recticle.
See the link: "http://swfa.com/HD-C12503.aspx" The optics are really clear.
For the mount I used a Leupold 1 piece mount...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just switched the mount on my Trijicon TA11E from the thumbscrew base to a Trijicon quick release base. I also got a MagPul MS4 convertible sling (Coyote) with quick release attachments and ASAP quick release sling attachment point. And I ordered a Geissele SSA-E trigger with 901 pins. More shooting next week, going to try out my MagPul 25rd mags.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why is the 16SE $600 more than the 16S?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 16S is a sport version of the rifle, it has a tubular handguard, not a monolithic rail like on the 16SE. The 16S does not come with front or rear sights, the 16SE has an attached and foldable front sight with bayonet mount and a BUIS rear sight. The 16SE has ambidextrous controls (magazine release and bolt release), the 16S does not. The 16SE has a Vortex flash hider which is suppressor ready, the 16S has a standard flash hider. Those differences, I assume, are why the 16SE is $600 more.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nice rifle but I'm "wow" about your Bass Pro with a 100 yard range! I can drive to three and only one has a small indoor range. Jealous! ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes. Very nice.

And. ....Welcome to the money pit. :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I replaced my Armalite AR-10B with the Colt 901. I went with the Colt 901 because of the monolithic rail, the use of now standard PMag magazines (the Armalite uses modified M14 magazines), the ambi controls, and of course the Colt brand. I had already invested in accessories for the AR-10, like the Trijicon, Surefire flashlight, etc. so I will not need to add too much to the 901 other than a Geissele SSA-E trigger (arrives today), and the MagPul sling adapter (nice but optional). In the future I may look at a Smith Enterprises (SEI) suppressor, which is made for the Vortex flash hider that comes on my LE901-16SE model. I am also considering replacing the Trijicon TA11E with a Trijicon VCOG.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts