Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My \"New\" Officers Model Special

Guys: This was my big find at the show Saturday. It is a late 1951 production .38 Special Officers Model Special. The serial is 788446, which puts it just four numbers before the beginning number for 1952 production, according to Wilson's big book. It has the wide spur hammer which came into use in late '51. It sports the target stocks with the gold medallion and the checkering all the way to the top. I suspect the stocks are replacements, as Wilson says the originals were the brown checkered plastic ones. I have to say I like the looks and feel of these better. Based upon the info on target stocks posted recently here by DFaris I gather that these are mid-50's stocks for either the Python or perhaps an Officers Model Match. Is my speculation on this correct, or is it possible that the revolver came with these stocks? This revolver is in real nice shape, with little evidence of having been shot much at all. Got it for $425 out the door which I was pleased with. Wilson says only about 6000 of these were made between '48 to '52. Anyone know why they stopped making them? What kind of reputation did they have among target shooters back in the early '50s? Anybody here shot one of these? I was feeling real lucky walking out the door of the show with this one under my arm .....Charlie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: My \"New\" Officers Model Special

That's a nice Colt. Did you get the original box? Is that a Colt rear sight? Looks kinda like a Micro sight to me.

·
Registered
97 Posts

RW,

No, that is a "Coltmaster" sight. The Micro had a rectangular section at the back that carried the blade, the "Coltmaster" had the trianguular profile at the rear that can be seen in the picture.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bfoster (edited 08-10-2003).]

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks, guys, for all the comments. RW: The box is, indeed, a OMS .38 box with a gold end label, but it did not come with the gun. I have had the unnumbered box sitting around in my closet for a long time. It was just fortuitous that I found the gun to go with it. One clue I got when I brought the gun home was that it would not fit in the box properly. That is what started me thinking that perhaps the stocks were replacements or, if not, that it had come in a bigger OMS box than what I had. I think I'll look around to see if I can find the correct plastic stocks for it, but I do like the feel of the target stocks so I will probably leave them on there for the time being at least. Thanks again for the input. Charlie

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts

It's very possible those are the original grips.
Given the very late serial number and the target hammer,it's possible Colt started putting on the newer target grips before the Officer's Model Match actually replaced the OMS.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Production stopped on the OMS because in 1953 the OMM replaced it. The story I have heard was the shooters of that time period prefered the sights of the OMS and OMT over the newer OMM. The OMS, like the OMT which preceeded it, was widely favored by target shooters.
If you look on the thread "Python with 4 digit serial number", you will see you have the same grips.

BTW Congrats, you have a very nice addition to your collection.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 08-10-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 08-10-2003).]

·
Registered
535 Posts

Dear O.G. Came across your gun show find reading through the, "stacks." I've only seen two of these ... both were so rough, I didn't buy either but always thought they looked interesting. Yours is beautiful! If you'd wanna' sell ... ? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ordnanceguy:
Guys: This was my big find at the show Saturday. It is a late 1951 production .38 Special Officers Model Special. The serial is 788446, which puts it just four numbers before the beginning number for 1952 production, according to Wilson's big book. It has the wide spur hammer which came into use in late '51. It sports the target stocks with the gold medallion and the checkering all the way to the top. I suspect the stocks are replacements, as Wilson says the originals were the brown checkered plastic ones. I have to say I like the looks and feel of these better. Based upon the info on target stocks posted recently here by DFaris I gather that these are mid-50's stocks for either the Python or perhaps an Officers Model Match. Is my speculation on this correct, or is it possible that the revolver came with these stocks? This revolver is in real nice shape, with little evidence of having been shot much at all. Got it for $425 out the door which I was pleased with. Wilson says only about 6000 of these were made between '48 to '52. Anyone know why they stopped making them? What kind of reputation did they have among target shooters back in the early '50s? Anybody here shot one of these? I was feeling real lucky walking out the door of the show with this one under my arm .....Charlie
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts