Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DSC01327.JPG DSC01328.JPG DSC01324.JPG DSC01325.JPG Hi Folks -- Just wanted to share some pictures of my new Revolver. The SN. Places the build date at 1960. Just wanted to see if any of the Scout experts here can tell me how original it appears. Thanks Ken

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Don't think the stocks are original. I think they should be without the Eagles. Otherwise, looks to be in nice shape. Should be a great fun Colt .22 single action.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
welcome Mythotto to the Colt Forum. nice pistol. There are quite a few Colt single action 22 collectors here on the forum. If you decide to expand your collection, the book to have is Don Wilkerson's book on Scouts, Peacemakers and New Frontiers. Most anything that is said about them can be authenticated with that book. It goes into specifics with what the barrel, grips, cylinders, frame, all markings, and box and paperwork should look like with each model and changes that were made along the way. These guys know their stuff too.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Dittos on the welcome. Nice little six gun you have there. What does the barrel roll mark say after Frontier Scout 22?? Could be LR, or Mag, or Cal. What is the serial number suffix? Thinking it must be an "F" series gun.

Here's a photo of an "F" series Frontier Scout with the correct grips. Some "F" series guns were shipping with smooth walnut grips, but that's not common.

Bill

·
Registered
242 Posts
I lost my 2 tone scout to my mom last weekend.
She is getting frail and can only fire the lightest of single actions and my scout was extremely light.
I bought it used and it came that way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Guys - Yes mine has the F suffix and LR on the barrel. I have seen the Eagle grips on some later Scout's 70's - but never on a 50's - 60's model. I did order the book mentioned above - Can't wait to get it. I have owned Ruger's and Heritage's 22's - But when I saw this Scout in this condition I had to have it. I put about 100 rounds through it last weekend and it was more accurate than any other small SA I have owned - Of course I might have been just having a good day. Thank you for all the good information. Ken :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
The nickel finish Frontier Scouts are from the "K" series and would have come from Colts with smooth walnut grips - no medallions (unless its a comemortative).

Here's a "K" series Frontier Scout with the correct grips:

Bill

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Thanks Guys - Yes mine has the F suffix and LR on the barrel. I have seen the Eagle grips on some later Scout's 70's - but never on a 50's - 60's model. I did order the book mentioned above - Can't wait to get it. I have owned Ruger's and Heritage's 22's - But when I saw this Scout in this condition I had to have it. I put about 100 rounds through it last weekend and it was more accurate than any other small SA I have owned - Of course I might have been just having a good day. Thank you for all the good information. Ken :)
Now you are hooked. Good thing you are getting Wilkerson's book. You will enjoy it. Enjoy your Colt.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I believe the Eagle stocks were first used on the 1967 Bat Masterson Scouts, they became standard on the 22 Peacemakerss and New Frontiers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Lawman --- Late sixties sounds right. I am probely going to leave the eagle grips on it - Just like the look. And Bill - Your Nickle Scout is a Beauty. Ken

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
Looks all original to me, except for the grips, of course. The F series Scouts had black plastic checkered grips without the eagle. A small percentage were fitted at the factory with plain walnut grips.

- - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
I like those Scouts myself.. had to get one to call my clutch a collection.. but those peacemakers with that case hardened frame is the apple of my eye.. like those NF's too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have noticed a big following for the latest 22 Handguns. Main reason (I Think) --- They are Fun and relativity inexpensive to shoot - And in this economy it is a win win situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought I'd share a recent find ...

Colt Frontier Scout in 22LR

Came with a homemade sheepskin rug, original manual and warranty card and the original box of shells purchased with the gun.
Only six are missing and the marks on the cylinder indicate that not many more than those 6 have ever been run through the gun.

Warranty card tells me that the gun was purchased August 31, 1959 from Dibrell's in Big Spring, Texas.

The guy who was the original owner was almost 90 and was trying to raise cash for a concealed carry weapon.
Said he bought the gun to take with him deer hunting to defend against rattle snakes.
Says he can't recall ever shooting the gun.
It was buried in the back of his closet since the early 60s.

It's an awesome little SA revolver.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
That is absolutley Stunning! Imagine - To still have all those Goodies after all those years. A really really nice Find! And Great Pic Too!!!! Like mine it is hard to find a Scout over 50 + years thats as nice as yours. Congrats. Ken

Thanks for the Info. Buckspen --- I heard you are the Go to Guy for any Scout Knowledge. I apreciate it....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts