Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this one today. I have never owned or even fired a New Frontier before. It is a 2nd Gen 45 Colt and was a "grail" gun for me as I have been looking for one for a long time. It shoots better than I could have imagined. Offhand I got a 1 3/4" group at 27 yards due to one flier that went high. That bullet, along with all the others, hit right on the sights. My best 4 shots were all touching.

It really likes the RCBS 270 SAA bullet sized .454 as well as a Lyman 454190. I don't have pin gauges but the .454 bullets will push through the cylinder with some resistance. The loads were the same as I use in my 2nd Gen SAA.

I am not sure what the stocks are made of. It was advertised as "horn" but I think they are wood. Ebony maybe?

Anyway, I am quite happy with it and plan to wear some blue off of it in the future.

Dan

]

2nd Generation 45's

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Amazing looking firearm. Is that the one that was listed in Cape? I was looking at one down there but the drive is a killer with work being so busy. Love it, love it, love it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amazing looking firearm. Is that the one that was listed in Cape? I was looking at one down there but the drive is a killer with work being so busy. Love it, love it, love it.
Thanks Rob,

No it did not come from Cape. (didn't see that one). Found this one on GB and it came from OH.

Dan

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
There may be hope for me yet then :). Glad it arrived safely, it's obvious it was a big score for you if you shot it the same day you got it. Good for you, hearing that someone has received something that they have wanted for a long time always makes me smile and feel good. I am truly happy for your blessing, and am sure you worked very hard for it.
Thanks Rob,

No it did not come from Cape. (didn't see that one). Found this one on GB and it came from OH.

Dan

·
Registered
406 Posts
Very nice! 2nd gen New Frontiers are not common and that looks and sounds like a major sweetie. The Grips look like pictures I have seen of buffalo horn grips, maybe? I am envious even though I just got one of "new" frontiers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice! 2nd gen New Frontiers are not common and that looks and sounds like a major sweetie. The Grips look like pictures I have seen of buffalo horn grips, maybe? I am envious even though I just got one of "new" frontiers.
Andy

Looking at the pics of that fantastic NF of yours... and you're envious??? Let's just say then that the envy is mutual. I am glad that ivory stocked engraved gun is also going to get some use. It is one of the best looking revolvers I have ever seen.

Dan

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
THOSE STOCKS give all the appearence of being one-piece. Is that correct ?? It all looks mighty darned fine to me. May we get nosy and ask what the serial number is ?? I have three or four second generation NF sixguns including the second rarest one in existence and YEP, I shoot the dickens outta all of 'em too !!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Dan - yes I am totally pleased with mine. It's my third New Frontier and all are 3rd gens, I've never even seen (in person) a 2nd gen NF, so I'm envious of your good score.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the comments.

Terry

Yes they are one piece stocks. Not sure what they are made of but they fit well..both on the gun and in my hand. I like the look as well. Most NF's I have seen have pretty plain stocks so these are an improvement I think.

I have spent two days with it now and I am really liking this gun. It is "faster" than my SAA of the same length with the loads I have tried. I chrono'd some loads today and all were averaging 100 fps faster. BC gap is pretty tight although I haven't measured it yet.

It is timed real well and lock up is real tight. Very little end shake. The only issue so far is the base pin likes to pop loose. That is a pretty easy fix.

The serial number is: 5847NF which should put it as 1968.

Dan

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I've never even seen (in person) a 2nd gen NF
This is not surprising because the total 2nd Generation New Frontier production number is about 4300 guns. They were made in 4 calibers and 3 barrel lengths. Some of these variation are quite rare. Collectors seem to have overlooked the 2nd Generation New Frontier. I think the New Frontiers in general are an underappreciated Colt revolver.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
BigMuddy
That's a nice New Frontier.
They are nice six-guns usually very accurate.
The two bullets you mention the RCBS 45-270-SAA & Lyman 454190 are two of my favorite too.
Thanks for sharing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts