Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the weeks before Christmas, I busted my butt working OT, so I felt it only fitting to use a little of the extra income to buy myself a present. I haven't had a Colt Police Positive Special since 1977, when I was issued one as a Housing Authority Cop, so I really wanted one to add to my small collection of Colt revolvers. I decided to check out GunBroker.com as I'd seen a few Forum members get good deals there. I found a PPS that from the photos posted looked good and I bid on it. Other bidders must have not seen this gun or didn't trust the photos and there were few bids, so I was shocked when I won the auction (first time ever). I had emailed the seller to ask about the condition of the gun and it sounded great. As I have an FFL, it was sent to me by Priority Mail and I got it on Christmas Eve. It was all I'd hoped for. Condition-wise I'd say very good with about 85-90% on the finish with a little bit of rust pitting here and there and some holster wear on the cylinder and barrel. The bore and chambers are bright and shiny. Mechanically it is excellent; timing and lock-up are 100%. The hard rubber grips match those on my Army Special and serial number to the gun. The serial number is 139000 which puts it circa 1916 according to the Colt serial number data on their web site. Needless to say, I'm happy as a clam and can't wait to have a little range time with my new PPS. This is for you Dabney; if Uncle Sam would let me carry this little sixgun on duty I'd be wearing it Monday night! As it is, I'm sure it will find itself on my hip in an off-duty capacity on a regular basis! Any thoughts from you experts on its value? Happy New Year to all...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,638 Posts
Nice Police Positive Special. It has been rebarreled since 1916 (note ramped and serrated front sight) but by looking at the consistency of the finish it looks to have been a factory job. It probably got a factory refinish at the same time as the finish looks superb.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Based on the rollmarks, I might gently disagree that the barrel has been changed. Instead, the front sight has been modified for a better sight picture. I love this era, good score.

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wondered about the front sight when I saw the photo on GB. As it has the patent dates atop the barrel, I'm going to guess that somebody had the front sight modified. The serrations on the "ramped" part of the sight were very well done, so as a whole I can live with it for $325.

Reactions: Zeke38

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
1922 4" P.P. off of G.B. 5-6 years ago for $400.00, that was top dollar then with no box. I would not take less than $600.00 today if I was to sell it.I have 5 P.P's and none are in .38 Special. Great shooters with the hollow base wad cutters and Bullseye powder.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
1922 4" P.P. off of G.B. 5-6 years ago for $400.00, that was top dollar then with no box. I would not take less than $600.00 today if I was to sell it.I have 5 P.P's and none are in .38 Special. Great shooters with the hollow base wad cutters and Bullseye powder.
Curious if you are loading the wadcutters in .38 S&W cases?

·
Registered
245 Posts
LaVistaBill:

My friend, you did well, in more than direction sir! First, your 1916-vintage Police Positive Special appears to be in superb condition gauging from your photo. The original hard rubber floral pattern grips are intact and in fine condition and the 'price' of 325-dollars, well just "WOW"! With your vast experience and skill, I would think you would be well served and well protected with your PPS in your duty holster, while protecting us on the border. This will be a Christmas that you will not soon, if ever, forget! You did good sir!
David

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Now I don't feel so selfish and alone in my redistribution of overtime pay. I made sure everyone I needed to take care of was hooked up in style, and made a little investment on the side.
I too went and grabbed up an old PPS for myself: a 1919 6" that had been staring at me from the eye-level antique upright case scince 08/'09.
It was one of those things where you never really know if it's gonna happen 'til it does.
It has the obligatory corner knocked off one of the grip panels, but otherwise it ain't too bad. It is mechanically excellent; just looks like a decent old revolver.
And I'm glad I finally jumped. I lowballed my 1st offer and the man accepted, $300 OTD.
Be advised I bought several other Colts in the meantime after August of '09 ( 2 from the same dealer), but that thing just kept hangin' around.
Like destiny.
So now it is in the pile where it belongs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.