Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys: I like USGI guns, Colt automatics, and .22s. So, when I found this 1942 production Service Model Ace at a local show it was like 'the perfect storm'. I had to buy it and eventually did, after some sage advice from my friend Kevin W. It is GHD inspected and has the Ordnance Dept. insignia on the right side of the frame. The serial is SM 3661. (I always liked the fact that the SM Aces had their own serial number range.) I took a couple of pics today and I'll post them below. The Ace is shown with a 'dogbone' box of Remington .22 ammunition, an Army Lot manufactured in 1943.

Charlie

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
....The magazine base says Colt/.22 Ace L.R./Service Model in 3 lines. Maybe someday, after I get out of debt for this one, I'll look around for one of the late war parkerized SM Aces.

Charlie

·
Registered
150 Posts
At our local shows we find tons of pump shotguns, blueless deer rifles with Simmons scopes, and lots of shiny blue and stainless Taurus revolvers amongst other valuable collectibles. But a Service Model Ace? In that condition? Not a chance. Jealous though I may be, congratulations! -Asa

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys, for the nice comments. Yes, I was surprised that the gun was available at the show. I knew the seller (but neverknew he had an Ace) and ended up buying the gun after the show and after I had done some research and gotten some advice from friends who were more familar with the SM Aces than I was. A lot of guys walked by that gun at the show and did not bite. Sometimes you just get lucky. Believe me, I have walked past thousands of gun show tables with knife sharperners, turqoise jewelry, beanie babies, plastic guns and all the other junk over the years, so it was nice to see this old Colt sitting there waiting for someone to appreciate it.

Charlie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts