Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
That is just gratuitous flaunting. You should be ashamed of having those. :)

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
In addition to congratulations to you, I guess magnetism draws me to show my Service Model Ace. I bought it about 20 years ago out of an estate NIB. Different, it has a serial number 70B50xxx that should make it a .45ACP, but the same number is on its box & unable to find any record of it. Some say it dates from a time maybe the '70s in a period of Colt upheaval then they paid less attention to detail.

·
Registered
737 Posts
rhmc24, several years ago I read where a number of the '70-'80s Service Model Aces were built on "B" serialed frames due to a shortage of the "SM" serial numbered frames.I believe I read where the roll dies were worn and had to be replaced,so in the interim the regular .45 frames were used. I thought I saw that info in Clawson's," Colt.45 Government Models" book but I don't see it now. More research, and I see in the "Thirty First Edition Blue Book " that there is mention of "SM"prefix most common or "B 70" suffix. Obviously they were "70 B" prefixes not "B 70" suffixes.I guess that is little more info to confuse not inform. Wish I could have done better. BTW: I always enjoy your posts based on your experience and your huge base of knowledge. Thanks, Nick

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Nice pistols for sure. I always had an affinity for the electroless nickel Service Model ACE. The one that I had, and I was a donkeyhead for selling it, was blue with a SM serial number. I got the desire for another and the prices are a bit high IMO, so I settled for an early post WWII Colt Conversion Unit and mounted it on top of a Caspian frame, to create a Service Model clone. This worked out quite well and the set-up is very accurate.

Quite a few years ago I met another shooter at yhe gun club I belong to and he had a .45 Gov't Model with a SM serial number and assured me it came that way, although I cannot verify it.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
There are a few 45's out there on the ace frames from Colt. They were utilized when the demand for the Ace demand was not as strong as Colt thought it would be, at least that is my understanding.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
WOW those sure are SWEET.....I have refrained from chasing these BUT your pics are making that tough to do....THANKS for the pics...RR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts