Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found this at a local store. bought it for $500. going to take it shooting tomorrow. it's had trigger work, i can't wait to take it out and give it a go. 3rd gen serial starts with SA serial puts it at 1980. kind of sad that someone cut the barrel but it was done well, and i'm just excited to find a 45 colt SAA even though it may not be how it was originally offered. :)

22047917_1579885048770470_4893072329931975340_o.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Is there a back story? That hammer seems to have been modded for "fanning." How is the timing and lockup?

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
timing is near perfect and it locks up great. no idea on its backstory or history. one of my friends used to shoot quickdraw/fastdraw back in the day and after playing with it figured someone had it set up for fast draw and he didn't want to give it back to me. he seemed fairly impressed with the action and the hammer. i'd never seen one set up like that, and i couldn't say no at the price.

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Good news. And, you can always swap the hammer out to get back to stock. You're right about the price. A buntline barrel could also be screwed back on, but it might be a great shooter as is.

Reactions: ei8ht and wolfcoln

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Great buy!

Yeah it's had some fast draw work and you may want to replace the awkward fanning hammer. But thanks to that you got a great buy on a real Colt.

The action has probably had a hard life so far, although it doesn't look like that gun has much use. But the scratches on the cyl clearly indicate it had a bit of poor handling care and never had a cyl sling used for removing/replacing the cyl.

You'll notice also the cyl lock notches and approach leads have been enlarged and deepened, a common professional fast draw modification. But the notches are the proverbial weak point of an even number chambered revolver. I would stick to standard 45 loads with the deeper notches which have effectively thinned the chamber walls at that point. It may even have had a cyl lock or hammer travel stop block installed.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Wow, cut down or not, I would have purchased it for $500. Nice looking Colt and hopefully turns out to be a heck of a shooter. We will be looking for a range report.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
just got back, i only had 14 rounds left, didn't get a chance to reload. shot some 225gr jacketed soft points. 5,5,4. very nice shooter. at 10 yards it was shooting where i was putting it. didn't set up targets, someone had left some pumpkin remains and i was using those for as much accuracy as i could muster. rainy day, too. we were out to troubleshoot an accuracy international 308 that was shooting high due to an issue with the scope mount, so the day was focused on it.

i might change the hammer, but i kind of like how well it cocks one handed with my thumb along the spur, it kind of just fits. looks odd, but i can get over that.
no timing issues, all 14 shots came off fine. trigger is very light and crisp. i'll reload some trail boss and take out some paper to get some actual shooting in, and post the results.
but i'm very happy, and it makes my second gen SAA 357 magnum feel like a chunk of metal with no finesse. thats how impressed i am with this one so far.

oh, and sorry, it has a flat main spring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts