Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:
joed

In that condition, probably $250-350 more than he's asking! Prices may very by area.
Pythons are probably one of the most beautifully made Colts Colt ever made. If you are a shooter, there's your gun.

P.S. Send some of those down here to central Florida.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! It was a beautiful gun but I had no idea of the value. I may become a Python owner in about 3 hours.

My first Colt was a Officers Model 22 and ever since I've wanted more Colts.

There aren't many bargains here but occasionally one can be found.

Joed

[This message has been edited by joed (edited 10-21-2003).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Yeah, I missed out on Python a month ago at a pawn shop over in Wauchula. Guy got anxious to turn some dollars and had just let an $800 8" Python go for $300. OUCH. So deals do crop up once in awhile, you just have to be in the right place at the right time.
You better go snatch that Python up before the guy changes his mind. Dick

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You best run to that Python deal. Any Python less than $500 is a very good deal. It would have to be a real dog to lose any money with a price like you quoted.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is the serial #?

I have #'s on the frame and yoke that are 192XX but I don't think that's what I want.

Joed

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
joed

The serial # in the yoke should be correct. If that is the # it was made in 1962, they didn't start using prefix or suffix letters until 1969. Can you post pictures or could you describe what kind of stocks it has? Dick

P.S. Just noticed you said it came in plastic box. That surely can not be correct for a 1962 gun.

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 10-21-2003).]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Can you post pictures or could you describe what kind of stocks it has?
P.S. Just noticed you said it came in plastic box. That surely can not be correct for a 1962 gun.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have pictures but don't know how to post them on here. The stocks are wooden with checkering running up to the Colt emblem. They look similar to my S&W mod 19 except they have no lacquer on them, just plain wood. It had a Hogue monogrip that I took off as I don't like rubber grips. I noticed the speed loader is larger then my K frame.

There is some blueing missing on one side of the gun at the front of the underlug. Not bad though. The action cyles very smoothly.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Welcome to the club, Joed! I share your admiration for Colts. There's been a few S&W's catch my eye, and a High Standard here and there but the Colts get me to pay up! The Python is everyone's favorite, I reckon ... powerful, accurate and ranks right up there with the Single Action Army, Tommy Gun and Luger as, "metal sculptures," as well. For my money, I like to look at the next shelf down from the Pythons ... Officer's Model Match's, (as you've already discovered!,) Diamondback, Trooper ... lots less money, just as good a shooter and maybe something the guy down the street doesn't have, too. Silly, ain't I?

·
Registered
48 Posts
for what it is worth i bought two pythons new with box and with factory target for 200 dollars each in about 1975 from warshalls in seattle.. i sold the 2 1/2 inch barrel and gave the 6 inch to my dad which will probably make its way back to me one day, in the box, with target... some bluing loss.. if you want to buy a nice pistol, buy three with consecutive serial numbers. put two on the shelf and shoot the third.. i can easily spend your money, cant get seem to get the money to do it for my self tho.. speaking of pawn shops the police put a warrant on a taurus 41 mag today and im out 100 bucks and some guys dad is going to have a very ugly boy friend soon.. then when he gets out he has to pay me back or back to the joint.. .. looks like this guy pawned it for his son so the police think, i know him and dont think hes that stupid.. but who knows??? the prisons are full of the bright ones... dave.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Albert Shear:
And I thought $600 for a 1964 Python 4" was a steal!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't realize this gun was from 1962. That gives me 2 fairly old Colts in my gun collection.

I liked the Trooper they had also but boy it needs some work. Sloppiest action I've ever seen, wouldn't lock up when I pulled the trigger.

Joed

·
Registered
162 Posts
Man I hate it when folk talk about 1962 as being OLD

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ever since buying my first Colt a few weeks ago I've been on the lookout of any revolver with the Colt emblem. Todays travels found a Trooper, blued with 4 inch barrel and a Python with 4 inch barrel.

The Trooper is in bad shape, blueing maybe 70%, worst lockup I've ever seen on a revolver for $259.

The Python. Beautiful. Blueing 99%, lockup good. Comes with plastic case, wood grips in box and a speed loader. Price $450.

What is the Python worth? I'm not well versed in Colts so is there anything else I should look at?

Joed

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
joed

In that condition, probably $250-350 more than he's asking! Prices may very by area.
Pythons are probably one of the most beautifully made Colts Colt ever made. If you are a shooter, there's your gun.

P.S. Send some of those down here to central Florida.
Dick

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:
Welcome to the club, Joed! I share your admiration for Colts. There's been a few S&W's catch my eye, and a High Standard here and there but the Colts get me to pay up! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know what got me started on the Colts. I love S&W revolvers but the Colts are just as nice. Probably would have bought some sooner but you never see them for sale. The ones I've run across always seem to command a high price.

I take it the Python is a strong gun. I've noticed it's larger then my K frame Smiths which surprised me.

Joed

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
joed
The Python is built on an "I" frame which is probably closer to a S&W "L" frame but is about 2 ounces lighter barrel length for barrel length than Smith. Very strong and accurate firearm. Some say that Colts go out of timing quicker, but I have had no problem with mine. Dick

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:

Very strong and accurate firearm.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't wait to try it out. If it shoots as accurately as my Officers Model 22 I'll be happy. I'm feeling sickly today so may be out tomorrow, at the range.

Joed

·
Registered
18 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Albert Shear:
And I thought $600 for a 1964 Python 4" was a steal!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, I wish I lived in your neck of the woods! Out here in CA 900-1500 seems to be the going rate for a python if you can find one and that is for stainless ones as opposed to the blued - I have yet to see a blue for sale in the past 6 months I have been looking

Simon

·
Registered
41 Posts
Simon, I guess I am lucky that I live in Va. You can find just about anything here. The seller did not know the age of his Python and just assumed it was used alot. I would rate it at 95%. I also picked up a Stainless 4" for $500 but did not like the action so I sold it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by simonp:
Wow, I wish I lived in your neck of the woods! Out here in CA 900-1500 seems to be the going rate for a python if you can find one and that is for stainless ones as opposed to the blued - I have yet to see a blue for sale in the past 6 months I have been looking

Simon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm really glad I don't live in CA. The prices don't seem out of line but I keep hearing all kinds of bad things about buying a gun in CA.

I noticed someone on here is selling one.

Joed

·
Registered
18 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joed:
I'm really glad I don't live in CA. The prices don't seem out of line but I keep hearing all kinds of bad things about buying a gun in CA.

I noticed someone on here is selling one.

Joed

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well buying a gun here in CA is pretty much a nightmare. There are only 850 guns on the approved list anything else is illegal to transfer unless you can do it via a Private party transfer. If you happen to find a gun at a dealer that you like and can buy you are restricted to one gun per 30 days

Add to that most FFL's out here charge an arm and a leg to do an out of state transfer if they will at all, finding a gun at a good price is nearly impossible in CA

For example at my dealer today there is a used, appears gently but still used SS Python with a 6" barrel that someone is asking $1350.00 for. Personally if I could find a job in another state Id move tomorrow (have to keep looking)

Simon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts