Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased two Colt Pythons from a local seller. Let it be known that I paid $2400 for both. First is a 6-inch blued, 1972 year in 98% condition which is clearly original finish. The grips, I believe, are type 3 or 4 but are not the lighter color of the type 4. I have no concerns with this gun, a real beauty. The second one is a 1969 4-inch, also blued. I suspected it had been refinished but now I am sure. Here are my concerns and how they affect the gun's value. The re-bluing is beautiful, could have even been done by Colt. By the way, this fellow owned them for 15-20 years and said he thought the finished original. On the left side of barrel under PYTHON .357, *357 MAGNUM CTG*, both lines are not as bold as my other gun and the bottom of the 2nd line has some letter loss on bottom of letters. Next, the sides of the hammer of blued rather than unblued. On the right side of the frame, starting to the right of the grip, the first "pin" has been polished flush with the frame, next "pin" to the right looks correct, the next "pin" to the right is also flush with the frame, and finally, the screw looks correct. Overall, this is a real beauty but clearly refinshed. How has this affected the value? I can only assume the gun needed a refinishing badly, hence, this is an improvement. By the way, the grips were rough and I had swamprat refinish them (really beautiful job). Was $2400 just to much $$$ in light of refinishing. Thanks for your thoughts...Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
Honestly I'd value the original at close to $1600 and the refinish is closer to $1000. I think you did fine and now you have a perfect candidate to bring with you to the range every weekend!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Honestly I'd value the original at close to $1600 and the refinish is closer to $1000. I think you did fine and now you have a perfect candidate to bring with you to the range every weekend!
I couldn't have said it better myself! Shoot and enjoy. :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
The hammer and trigger pivot pins (the two that are polished flat) are not removeable. The bolt pivot screw and crane locking cap screw (two items on the right not polished level) are removable for disassemble. It's anyone's guess, but there is a possibility the piece was returned to one of "Colt's Authorized Repair Centers" at the time. The smiths at those facilities did not typically have access to the equipment or the degree of skill that the Colt facility and personnel had.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I agree with everyone that it is a fair deal and also that the gun has been refinished. I wanted to bring up a point though that at times the stampings from one gun to another vary quite a bit. The Dies that were used to Roll Stamp them wore over time and the stamping got lighter. If you looked at the first gun done and perhaps number 5000 you would swear that two different stamps were used but that was not the case. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who have replied. Classic case of "it is what it is." Even though refinished, it is a nice refinishing and at first glance the gun looks new including the recently refinished grips. Interesting point keystonearms makes regarding the different looks and quality of a roll stamp from the same stamp. Maybe this one was lighter to start with. Very glad that the hammer and trigger pins were not really harmed by their being polished flush with frame. Very please that gun may still be worth $1000. I always try to buy smart in case times get tough. I could let the 4" go but I would really be sad to adios the 6". I am now up to 11 Colts and hoping another comes knocking. Thanks guys...Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts