Colt Forum banner

My recent buy:

4K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Frank V 
#1 · (Edited)
Old & worn can be beautiful!

See less See more
#10 ·
Shoot Swamprat, that SAA looks great to me! I'd say in the 90's percent range. Nickle always looks worse with any wear. A 75% Blued gun shows better than a 92% Nickle one, because of the glaring contrast from any flakes missing. But if you look for wear, buggered screws, scratches, dings, etc.....there are not many on your gun. Good one!

#15 ·
Don't get your knickers in a wad fellows, this one is staying as she is, although the trigger and ejector head have been replaced, and I might go back to the original bullseye ejector head if I can get this one off. It has the first style rod housing that requires the head be unscrewed to remove the ejector.

Reactions: Frank V
#16 ·
I agree old & worn can be beautiful.

I just picked this one up this week as a birthday present to myself.

While clearly not all original, this one just "speaks to me". Letters as a 4 3/4" blue 45 Colt (which it indeed still is) shipped to El Paso TX. The grip frame is obviously from an earlier gun. The 4 numbers on the nickel plated back strap and trigger guard match each other, so my best guess is these may have come from a Navy Cartridge conversion ??
Someone has scribed their name date and town onto the ivory grips long ago with a date of 1890. Ran a few light rounds through it the other day and was quite happy with the group. :) This is my first, and likely only SAA although I do have a very small modest collection of other Colt's.

I'm really enjoying this thread. I like 'em with some wear on 'em.

#19 ·
iT'S---HORRIBLE !!!!! WOULD YOU "PLEASE" MOVE OUT OF TEXAS. Remember the book says to deduct 50% FROM THE VALUE of the pistol because it's Nickel. OK, Venting over with--I feel somewhat better.

I don't ever find pistols like that. Sooooo tell us where you got it or any history behind it. Hope to see you at the Houston Show. Perhaps this time we can visit more.

Richard

#20 ·
Richard,
I bought it on GB, came with the letter. I think it originally shipped as a 7 1/2", nickel, don't know about the grips, but they have been on it a long time.. The bbl has been cut to 4 3/4" and the front sight reinstalled, (has the long single line address). Surprisingly the bore is not pitted and has strong rifling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.