Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Memorial Day is more than a day off from work to me. I am not a veteran. However my dad was an Army medic in the Pacific in WWII and then re-upped for Korea in the same capacity. He survived but it took a toll on him. These were the pre-PTSD days but I am sure he suffered from it. He kept it at bay but it finally contributed to his death when I was two. Just my personal story. However, every veteran has his/her own story that may be very personal. I would like to say thank you to all veterans and the families and friends who supported them. An excellent day to honor the past, help for the present and hope for the future.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Memorial Day is more than a day off from work to me. I am not a veteran. However my dad was an Army medic in the Pacific in WWII and then re-upped for Korea in the same capacity. He survived but it took a toll on him. These were the pre-PTSD days but I am sure he suffered from it. He kept it at bay but it finally contributed to his death when I was two. Just my personal story. However, every veteran has his/her own story that may be very personal. I would like to say thank you to all veterans and the families and friends who supported them. An excellent day to honor the past, help for the present and hope for the future.
Back in those days it was called 'combat fatigue" or 'shell shock." A" rose by any other name is still a rose."

When I was a kid back in the '50s there used to be a WWII vet that walked past our house twice a day. His hands were never still...hike up his trousers, wipe his forehead and cheeks with both hands, run hands through his hair, walk 10 more steps and repeat...endlessly! My dad told me it was shell shock. The gentleman came back from Europe after WWII and was never the same.

None who have "seen the elephant" are ever exactly the same. Some suffer worse than others.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Thank you, quietman, on behalf of my now deceased Dad, Dad-in-law and uncles (Mom's brother & Dad's brother.)

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Memorial Day is separate than Veteran's Day....It's the time we pay our highest respects, honor, filled with our individual prayers, blessings, hopes and remembrance for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for the United States of America.

Veterans should be thanked everyday; for the step into harms way is never done with malice of forethought towards our enemy, but instead with honor and integrity to protect that which we cherish. It's a Burden,humbly acknowledged and accepted, place upon the shoulders of all that feel the need to keep America free from tyranny and terrorism; without intimidation from those destined to change our way of life.

"The Oath" solemnly taken is always done with a heavy heart, in concert with his or hers own relationship with God. It is the highest praise one can give to their country, free of guilt, to protect it's boundaries and shores from all it's invaders and aggressors; And yet, some do not return. We are left not only with what might of been, but the knowledge, and with a deep breath, a chance that their sacrifice was not in vain.

No other gift can be appreciated more or given the highest acknowledgment, than the gift of life, given by another.

Least We Forget...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Thank you quietman and very well said. I have been separated for a while but the gratitude always means a lot.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I would get replies that would touch my heart...and I was right. Thanks for the sharing your thoughts on Memorial Day.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
A heavy burden was laid upon you early in life Quietman. Thank you for your indirect part in suffering for our country's freedom.
I also say your post is very much appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts