Colt Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
A coat of arms is a much more elaborate device and can only be carried by the head of a noble family. A family crest is another matter, it is simpler (like the item we are talking about) and can be used by any member of the family. View attachment 105081 View attachment 105082 I have attached samples of each. They are from my family. I could not use the Arms but, if I was that way inclined, use the crest.
Beg pardon Mr. Stanforth, But what's the significance of the three goats in your family crest? I know there were a number of old goats on my paternal grandmother's English side, so perhaps we may be related?

;)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Well, if we go with 'plumes', then they're clearly 'Price of Wales' plumes, and those do show up - sans this style of crown.
But don't the Primce of Wales' plumes go through the coronet, not below it?

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Well, if we go with 'plumes', then they're clearly 'Price of Wales' plumes, and those do show up - sans this style of crown.
But the Prince of Wales Plumes are only three and upward.

This device is three up and three down...bound in the middle.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Beg pardon Mr. Stanforth, But what's the significance of the three goats in your family crest? I know there were a number of old goats on my paternal grandmother's English side, so perhaps we may be related?

Beware. In earlier versions the goats horns are dripping with blood. We are not to be trifled with.. :cool: By the way Ives is my name and Stanforth on my maternal side. They aren't very nice either...:rolleyes:

;)[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
646 Posts
As you will see there is a similarity to the Crest on the pistol but not close enough to be true..
Maybe a Welshman with delusions of grandure..:confused:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Beware. In earlier versions the goats horns are dripping with blood. We are not to be trifled with.. :cool: By the way Ives is my name and Stanforth on my maternal side. They aren't very nice either...:rolleyes:

;)
[/QUOTE]
Well, Grandma's people were the Wickards - don't know if that's just a corruption of Wicked. She was a very nice sort though, if her side had a crest, it would have a pumpkin pie in it.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
Take a closer look at the many variations of the 'Prince of Wales Plumes' - and I mean 'many' - you'll find the exact one pictured, bound in its center.

It's just not encircled in an oval, nor is there a coronet, and in order for it to 'belong' to anyone or any entity, all three elements 'must' be present.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
You know, I admire the Queen. I mean, she knows how to handle a firearm, has taken stag in Scotland, played an active role during the War effort. And, that is just the icing on the cake. Can we say the same about our President?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
As you will see there is a similarity to the Crest on the pistol but not close enough to be true..
Maybe a Welshman with delusions of grandure..:confused:

Maybe a von Battenberg, now Mountbatten, ICH DIEN in german > I SERVE in english

21 - 35 of 35 Posts