Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd ask you fine gentlemen this question, because I honestly can't find much at all online. Below is a picture of a pair of grips I recently purchased (yesterday actually, and they are still on their way in the mail.) I honestly probably overpaid, but I wanted to grab them while I had the chance since I've been wanting a pair in this style for a while.

What I want to know is, what are they? The only grips I am aware of that colt made like this were the elusive Colt Aircrewman grips with Air Force medallions. These grips are essentially identical except they have standard silver rampant colt medallions. The only similar set I found with information is at this: website where some lucky dog got 'em for $20.

He called them "Colts Patents Arms Manufacturing Company Experimental Colt Grips Similar To Aircrewman," but doesn't really seem to know the origins either.

Do any of you have any experience with the history or origins of these? Who made them? My theory is they were either leftover stock from the colt factory that they put regular medallions in and sold off (which would make them rare given so few aircrewmen were made, how much extra stock could they have actually had?), or they're just reproduction grips that are still fairly hard to find.

Let me know what you guys think!
$_57.JPG
s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  1. I've seen those type grips for sale within the last 10 years or so.
    They weren't Colt factory.
    How did you know they weren't factory? And if they weren't factory, any idea where they came from? They seem to be so far and few between that it'd be weird if they were reproduction. What's the point of making a copy grip if you aren't going to sell very many.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
Could be Sile..they made a number of Colt design stocks but usually with their own medallion. They could also be as represented...actual Colt experimental stocks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be Sile..they made a number of Colt design stocks but usually with their own medallion. They could also be as represented...actual Colt experimental stocks.
Hm. That could be possible. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be in business anymore for me to contact them. Is there anyone who specializes in Colt stocks? They very well could be as represented, but I can't find any resources online to verify where they came from.

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
I’ve collected Colt stocks for a number of years. Ive handled quite a few too. I’ve never saw these stocks. I look at the details. The screw and nut (I don’t try spelling the E word) look colt correct to me. At first the medallion looked kinda janky to me but I believe it’s just the pic. Could we get pics of the backside?
I once picked up a pair of Python service grips. Correct hardware with Factory original gold Colt medallion. They looked exactly like Colt factory service pythons side by side. The inside of one panel was marked SILE. One of the long time members and I discussed this in detail. He thought SILE might have been a supplier to colt at one time for factory grips for a couple/few years long ago but couldn’t tell me what years. I will say grip marked SILE inside would not be a factory shipped grip imo. SILE probably sold some “on the side”.
They look odd but everything I see so far would be being made by a supplier for colt. Whether colt commissioned or not, idk. With all this being said, I’d lean (just my guess) to them being Colt or a Colt associated project which never got off the ground. This is entirely a guess, based on nothing more than what I’ve seen, handled, and unfortunately trying to decipher all the fakes as they get better. Pics of the inside would give more info.

Reactions: Spirit

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, Gus. I went ahead and added some extra photos to the original post. Also, attached to this comment are a couple photos of real M13 Aircrewman stocks, front and back. There's a couple differences, but they don't seem to read SILE. I haven't received my pair in the mail yet, but when I do, I'll give them a closer inspection and let you know if I find anything not seen in the listed pictures.

From what you can tell so far, that is interesting you think they are either Colt or associated to Colt via some project that didn't go anywhere. Very well could be through a supplier such as SILE, but it's hard to figure that out with them being out of business. One thing I do find interesting is I read somewhere that SILE was in business in the 1950's which is the same time period Colt was producing these type of grips for their M13 project. Maybe they used a supplier to create their M13 stocks and that supplier had extra stocks they produced of the same variety? I have no idea. But definitely let me know what you think after viewing the new pictures. The gentleman I bought them from said he has 6 or so sets of them, both new old stock and used, and as seen in the picture, some are lighter coloured than the others. Not sure what that means.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts