Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I'm not too much into idolizing criminals or glamorizing Hollywood types, etc. Gen George S. Patton certainly has my respect, but Teddy Roosevelt gets my nod with his 1883 Colt SAA. American sportsman, cowboy, author, Nobel Peace Prize winner, conservationist. Unquestioned military bravery. Feared and respected American icon on the world stage. I don't recall too many other American presidents in recent history with those credentials. JM2CW.

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's housed at the 'Museum of the Confederacy' - located in Richmond, Virginia.

Last I knew, it was in their vault, and was not available for viewing by the general public.

Threads like this serve no true purpose - it's like picking a favorite comic hero or TV show - everyone's opinions differ.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Walker Colt serial number 1020. I think serial number 1020 was returned to Sam Colt after Captain Walker's death. Captain Walker had carried both 1019 and 1020 at the time of his death in Mexico.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's housed at the 'Museum of the Confederacy' - located in Richmond, Virginia.

Last I knew, it was in their vault, and was not available for viewing by the general public.

Threads like this serve no true purpose - it's like picking a favorite comic hero or TV show - everyone's opinions differ.
The gun is indeed in the Museum : Revolver

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
...Threads like this serve no true purpose - it's like picking a favorite comic hero or TV show - everyone's opinions differ.
Perhaps so, Dogface. However, I, for one, have found "true purpose" and immeasurable value in the various, differing opinions of Forum members in the short time I've been here.

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Walker Colt serial number 1020. I think serial number 1020 was returned to Sam Colt after Captain Walker's death. Captain Walker had carried both 1019 and 1020 at the time of his death in Mexico.
He had them at the time of his death? For some reason I thought he died before he took delivery of them.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,441 Posts
According to Colt, Sam Colt personally sent a pair of Walkers to Captain Walker. He had them in hand four days before being killed in action.
He sent a letter to Sam Colt evaluating the new revolvers.
I put the details of the letter in the Colt site section on the Legend of Colt Firearms:

The Colt Legend

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,441 Posts
Many famous or infamous people carried Colt's, but many of them are lost in the mists of time and no one knows where they are.
There are no doubt many famous peoples guns in the hands of people who have no idea what they have, and since serial numbers were seldom recorded by history, no way to know that they have a priceless gun.
As example, Bat Masterson ordered a pair of Colt SAA's while in Kansas, and Colt still has his letter.
The serial numbers of the guns are known, but only one gun's whereabouts is known. The other one is still out there.

It's hard to state a famous GUN, it's too easy to just name famous people who carried "A" Colt.
My votes for the most famous Colt's:

Wild Bill Hickok's matched pair of engraved Colt 1851 Navy's.
Sargent York's 1911.
Judge Roy Bean's engraved Colt SAA's.
John "Fitz" Fitzgerald's pair of Fitz Colt New Services.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.