Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just picked up an old shooter of a Mid Range and I am a reloader so,,,,,,,,

What is the best food for this old Pony?

Thinking of getting a LEE 90294 mold, 6 cavity 148gr Micro Band Wad Cutter but have no idea if the gun was designed to work with a particular weight range

Also need to know what speed or pressures are best suited for the old Pony

ANY LIGHT on this subject is VERY MUCH APRECIATED!!!!

THANKS!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
I am not familiar with that Lee mold, but the .38 Mid-Range pistol was designed to use only flush-seated wadcutters. When I was loading for one of these guns (and a S&W Model 52), I used a swaged Star 148 grain hollow base wadcutter. Cast wadcutters usually have a small protruding nose on the bullet and that may cause feeding difficulties in these pistols.

- - - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
I am not familiar with that Lee mold, but the .38 Mid-Range pistol was designed to use only flush-seated wadcutters. When I was loading for one of these guns (and a S&W Model 52), I used a swaged Star 148 grain hollow base wadcutter. Cast wadcutters usually have a small protruding nose on the bullet and that may cause feeding difficulties in these pistols. If I remember correctly, I used 3.0 to 3.3 grains of Winchester 231 powder and a Federal small pistol primer in Winchester cases with the swaged Star bullets.
(Sorry about the double post, not sure how that happened.)

- - - Buckspen

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have one of those. I only fired a few mags of a commercial wad cutter load. Don't remember bullet weight, but I can probably dig up a few rounds and get the head stamp info. Back in the '70s and '80s this round was readily available, but not so much now. Don't know how you are set with mags for the MR. They seemed to be more critical than the ammo for good results.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hasn't arrived just yet but supposed to come with 2 factory mags

I read the PRE MKIII's had issues but with the MKIII they cured all issues,,, course that is just what I have read

I have always had a thing for the "different" so naturally the MKIII 38spl called to me

I'm not much on factory ammo myself but I did get a box of Remington Wad Cutters in for a guy the other day, not sure who else makes them.

I plan to load it just heavy enough for proper cycling and may experiment with powders for accuracy but I have a surplus of Herco so,,,,,

·
Registered
184 Posts
I found some rounds from my last outing (about 20 years ago). Winchester and some marked CCI .38 special NR (not reloadable). I have (2) types of mags, and I suspect they are MkIII and pre MkIII. Mine is a MkIII, and the mag that came with it has a bifurcated (split) lip on each side. These lessen the tension on on the shell case, and are probably the result of the upgrade you mentioned. Your mags have the split fingers on each side?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I use 3.1 grains of WW231 and Speer's 148 HBWC. Any HBWC should work just fine. They are a kick to shoot.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I bought 2 of the very nice LEE 148grain cast micro-groove or tumble lube molds.[6 cavity] I bought and use them because they cast a very nice FWC for target. This bullet performs very well even out to the 50 yard line. For propellant, I prefer a very nice Alliant powder called PROMO. Promo is just like RedDot, but in the bulk configuration, 8 pounds.
The classic target load using RedDot and a cast 148grain FWC for 38special cartridges fully seated, it 2.8 grains. No higher, but I have had excellent success using 2.5 or 2.6 grains...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Can't help you on loads for the Colt specifically, but I have spent some time feeding a Smith 52. I've been using Flightline 148 HBWCs loaded flush, with a firm crimp to facilitate feeding and to establish a little resistance before the bullet starts to move. On a buddy's advice, I'm using 3.0 of W231; velocity out of the 52 is 750 with an ES of 30 and a SD of 13. Powder was thrown from a Dillon press; about the only issue I noted in my records was an accumulation of lube/lead on the (flat works best) bullet seating punch that eventually leads to bullets being seated deeper than desired. You need to keep the punch clean.
I had formerly used a cast Lyman bullet that had three large lube grooves and held a ton of lube, but found the soft lead HBWC both shot better and made for easier clean up. The cast bullets didn't lead much, but any lead that was deposited was an absolute stinker to remove.
The 3.0 loading is minimum in the Speer manual, so it shouldn't be stressing the gun much.
Enjoy your gun,
Moon

·
Registered
178 Posts
I used bullets from the Lee mold, and shot with Bullseye (2.8gr.). Stellar load, but a bit smokey. The best fast powder in all my other calibers, from .32 to .45, is VV-310. It is clean, nearly smoke free, and meters beautifully. Look in the Vihtavuori site (www.[B]vihtavuori[/B]-lapua.com) or their loading guide.

Terry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey All!!

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the thread but have noticed some have given me some good load data and I APPRECIATE THAT!!!

Have not got my mold yet but did get the Colt and already had a box of Remington wad cutters so today I fired 5 rounds through her and my wife did the same

I was just shooting at a dead tree but took the time to hang a target for the wife,,, keep in mind my wife refuses to wear prescription glasses

The Old Colt has one of those old Bomar rails on it,,,,,, well even the wife grouped a sub 2" 5 shot group at 25 yds

Yes I hung her target on the refrigerator!!!! She gets a Gold star!!

I think myself and BOTH the old girls will remain together for years to come,,, Ha Ha!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I use a 148gr. DEWC (double-ended wadcutter). You can cast them, or buy them from Midway, or Montana Bullet Co.
The Montana Bullets shoot really well (these are carefully cast bullets). I use 2.8gr. Bullseye and Federal Primers.
Terry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts