Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is this one of the short action OMM's that was discussed a while back? With lots of photo's of the internal modifications?

I just looked and the one of mine that I posted some photo's of is serial # 92497*. I don't remember reading anything about Nat Match Grade OMM's.

Now I guess we will have to compare the modifications again?

·
Premium Member
21,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Denny, The insides are not as clear as they could be. Let me know if you want me to take more pictures. Hope your gun is same. I had never heard of a "national Match Grade" OMM. News to me.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
At some time in the late 1960's a few OMM revolvers were sold through the NRA/DCM. They were never advertised, and by the time I heard about it they were all gone. Don't know if they were SA only or not.

Also saw a pile of OMM parts that came from a group of revolvers from the Federal Correctional Center in Texarkana, Texas. A surplus dealer knew about them being destroyed and somehow got the small parts before the frame and barrels were cut up. At the same time a number of Model 70 Winchester rifles were cut up, and he got the stocks, bolts, and trigger housings. They had the target type stocks with standard weight barrels.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,817 Posts
With apologies for thread drift, Mr. Crane, I had forgotten your March 2012 post. Did you ever letter the gun? If not, you should.

In looking at your post, it appears that your gun has a "real" single-action, short-action hammer to which someone has added a double action strut. Weird!

Get a letter and let us know what it says.

·
Premium Member
21,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I just saw this ad on Cowan's:

.38 spl. cal., 6" barrel, S/N 925079, blue finish, walnut checkered grips, Colt factory letter states "Special Features: Furnished with a short action (single action), Special Notation : "National Match Grade", Sold to: United States Government, Shipped to: Transportation Officer, Fort Bragg, Address: Fayetteville, North Carolina, For: Post Ordnance Acct. Officer, Date of Shipment: February 10, 1960, Colt Factory Order: 9854, Number of Same Type Guns in Shipment: 16

It appears that many of the Army bases were buying these OMM's during that period. Does anyone have any idea as to how many, in total, that the Army purchased? It looks like members of the Forum will list enough to give us an idea. This Ft. Bragg one is about 30 away from mine and about 200 from thecoltguy's. At least we are getting a list of the bases/regions that ordered these SA OMM's.

RadicalRod's SA OMM was Serial Number 926936, and I am guessing it will letter as one of these Army "National Match Grades" from pictures he posted. His is about 1000 away in SN from mine which is the lowest SN so far

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.