Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got the subject but can't find any reference to it anywhere.
Does anyone know if this is a standard Colt manufacture, or has it been modified?
...also is it rare, or fairly common? (guestimates as to its value would be appreciated)
It's in good mechanical shape but very little evidence of bluing (a lot of patina but no rust)

Thanks for any info.

John74

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hi John,

Welcome to the Colt Forum!
It is very difficult to assess your revolver without good detailed photos.
If you could attach some, I am sure you would get some meaningful responses from forum members.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John,

Welcome to the Colt Forum!
It is very difficult to assess your revolver without good detailed photos.
If you could attach some, I am sure you would get some meaningful responses from forum members.

Thanks
Thanks Doug, I'll post some photos when I get more time.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Are you sure it is a Colt?
If so... Does t have a rebated cylinder? If the answer to both questions is yes, you probabley have a 'Pocket Navy' or to gige it it's propper name a 'Pocket pistol of Navy Calibre' This is one from my collection...

DSC_0087.JPG DSC_0089.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, it has "Colts Patent" in a couple of places.
The cylinder has engravings on it.
The brass just above the trigger guard on the left hand side has "36 Cal" imprinted and it looks exactly like you photos (with a lot more patina).
I'm not sure how to tell a rebated cylinder, but this one doesn't look like its been modified (unless by the factory).

·
Registered
551 Posts
Not sure on how many Pocket Navies were made with the 4 1/2 inch barrel; but, it is not uncommon.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yep, it has "Colts Patent" in a couple of places.
The cylinder has engravings on it.
The brass just above the trigger guard on the left hand side has "36 Cal" imprinted and it looks exactly like you photos (with a lot more patina).
I'm not sure how to tell a rebated cylinder, but this one doesn't look like its been modified (unless by the factory).
A rebated cylinder (see the images) is one with the front of the cylinder larger in diamiter than the rear. The other percussion Colt to have this is the 1860 Army.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, it's been IDed. Colt 1862 Pocket Navy Revolver.
After I "clean it up" I'll post pictures.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My memory has been beat around a little and I would not bet on it and sure wish I had made a written log and a pictorial log to back it up but having owned over 200 mostly all Colt Cap and Ball Revolvers over the last few years and I think the Pocket Navy is similar to the 1849 Pocket Pistol which occasionally you see in the 6" barrel. I think I have had the Pocket Navy in 4.5 and 6.5 I had one in 5.5 and at that time thought it was modified or ultra ultra rare but after excited research found out like man says the Pocket Model Of Navy Caliber was built in all three lengths and I think that they were also produced in .36 and also .38 cal.
The only real rarity that in equal condition to another in like condition is one serial numbered above the high 19,000'S because this was well into the advent of the of the metallic cartridge guns they are much rarer with very few built or purchased after the Colt SAA went on the market.
And I could be wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
29 Posts
John

Don't clean the revolver. Post pictures first.

There have been many guns that have been significantly reduced in value and collectibility by well intentioned cleaning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It has a light coating of rust on the barrel. I've ordered some mineral spirits and got some 0000 steel wool to go over it lightly - shouldn't harm anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's some photos, thought it a good idea to show a before and after cleaning.
I've thrown in the display with the derringers, they're going to be a lot harder to ID as they have virtually no markings.

IMG_0340.jpg IMG_0342.jpg IMG_0343.jpg IMG_0344.jpg IMG_0346.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts