Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

First post but long time lurker. I love old Colt revolvers from the 60's and 70's. I recently found a very nice one in a small, local shop. It's a 1967 Colt Cobra .38 Special, blue in near mint condition. It has an original box (see below) and all the paperwork in the box. This gun is unfired and 'unturned' according to the owner. There are no marks on the cylinder showing rotation. The finish is flawless. There is one very small ding on one side of the top strap, about the size of a pencil point. It looks it came from the factory that way as the bluing is not affected. If it was not for this one ding this thing would be dead mint.

I've been following guns of this condition on GB for a while now and this one is as good or better than anything I've seen. I was tracking one that just sold for almost $1,200 and it did not even have the original box and papers. The one I found is significantly less. I usually hate safe queens and guns I cannot shoot but this is a very nice piece of history that I could always sell down the road for easily what I pay for it (assuming I don't fire it!). I admit the ding bothers me a little, but the price is good.

What do you think? Go for it? Pass?

About the box: The box is period correct and has the serial number written in black marker on the bottom. On the label there are two numbers: a printed (stamped?) red number 25 (might have been 23) and then a five digit number starting with a 2 handwritten in pen. It is not the same as the six digit serial number on the gun or written on the bottom of the box. Is this likely the original box or not?

Actual serial number is 159XXX, if I recall. The for sale tag says circa 1967. Proofhouse.com says 1965. Anything else I should look for on this gun? I looked it over really well with bright light (LED flashlight) and a 7X loupe. No other defects. Grips, screws, barrel, cylinder, hammer, trigger all dead mint. Just that ding.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Sounds to me like a $600 gun with a non original box. Excuse me for being blunt, but I am picturing this on a gunshow table at a price that will SELL it.
Then there's that ding. :)

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Doesn't sound like "safe queen" material to me." I agree with the $600 number. If you really want it and are feeling generous $650. In my opinion the box doesn't add significantly to the value. Remember, Colt isn't making any more of these. Buy it, shoot it, and enjoy it. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the opinions guys. That was pretty much my take on it with the ding and box. He's significantly over $600 so I'll pass on this one. Like I said, I'd want to shoot it anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.