Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Anyone here had any experience with reloading the .44 Russian ctg using TrailBoss powder instead of BP. I am sure that someone in this group has. The load is for a old Black Powder pistol and just didn't want to mess with the problems of BP. BUT I "am" open to suggestions---well other than NOT to shoot it.

THANKS EVERYONE
Ronin

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
"777" might be a good Propellant also for the .44 Russian Cartridge, if you do not want to use Black Powder.

It can be Loaded empirically - one uses just enough to reach where the Base of the Bullet will be, once seated, and, with no compression.

I am sure their Web Site would have this info and whatever other details.

I was using "777" in Cap & Ball Revolvers, and in .45 Colt and .38 Special, and it seemed like a very nice propellant.

I tried 'Trail Boss' and it was so anemic and puny, I decided I could probably hurl the Bullets using a Sling Shot, just about as well as it does.

"Blackthorn 209" is well thought of, but I can not remember right now if I had tried it or not.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If the gun was made for BP, I'd stick with BP. Or a BP substitute. (but then I'm a wuss) Cleaning is not really that big a deal.

·
Registered
159 Posts
209 Blackhorn is reported to be very VERY Corrosive, so do not shoot it in a old revolver. A good load is 4 grains of Bullseye, do not exceed this. I agree that bP is not hard to clean up, as long as you can remove the cylinder to clean it up.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I was loading triple 7 for an original Remington 1875 revolver in 44-40. I like everything about it but it appeared it was corroding the cases. I am still going to use some dedicated cases for that load because it was fun with the boom and smoke. I switched to a starting load of 700X and its fine as I sometimes wait a day or 2 to clean my guns. I used to load for an original S&W #3 and I believe I used the bullseye load above and it worked fine, but that was 23 years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.