Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw an old gun today marked "Colt Official Police .38" today. The serial number was 5545xx. Any idea of a mfg. date?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
1929 Gun. 559500 started in 1930. A fairly "early" O.Police a few years after the change from the nearly identical Army Special. Should have wood stocks,with silver Colt medallions and nickled screw/escutcheons on the stocks. These guns are usually very well fitted and finished,unless messed with over the years. Should also be more able to digest +P ammo than the older Colts and S&W's contemporary Military & Police Models.

Hope his is of help;
Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great info. That's an exact match on the stocks. Unfortunately, the gun is not in good shape. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif The blue is pretty much gone. There is a bit of surface rust on frame above cylinder. Gun has seen so much use the stocks have been worn smooth. But then I think - the action is still super smooth. I can remove surface rust. Could the stocks be replaced? I think the shop is overpriced at $279.00. Any other thoughts about giving this piece a better home?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts