Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put a hold on a gun yesterday at a LGS for a friend. I beleive he'd like it as he collects small frame 10's-20's-30's guns. He'll be purchaser if he likes it. The gun in question is a Pocket Positive in .32 2.5", butt is closer to round and not squarded flat at the base. It's blue and been re finished and has pearl stocks that look like they could be real. The price is $270 plus maybe a box of doughnuts.
Gun looks good and locks up tight, but due to buffing and my bad eyes I can only make out .32 Police (not NP but Police) on the barrel. If it's chambered in .32 Colt it will not chamber .32 S&W long or short? Is that correct?
Gun in picture is not actual Colt in question but represents exact type.

Any info appreciated.
Jim

Attachments

·
The Consummate Collector
7,509 Posts
Yes, most likely .32 S&W if the serial number is above 65,000. Colt did offer the .32 Colt in the early models. Take a look at the serial number. Colt marked the barrel .32 Police Ctg. and not New Police.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coltguy: Thanks for reply and info. I should have copied down serial #. But being a know it all I was convinced it was .32 NP. After reading about the little gun later on I realized I'm not so knowledgeable. I cannot remember seeing one for sale locally.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,509 Posts
The .32 New Police and .32 S&W are interchangeable so ammo is readily available. Just check the serial number and if it is a later gun (over 65,000) then you can be fairly sure that it is fine.

·
Premium Member
6,206 Posts
Colt marked these 32 police for cartridges such as 32 Colt New Police and both the 32 S&W and 32 S&W long. Your good to go on this one being chambered in the readily available 32 S&W long cartridges. I have the same marked gun and barrel length.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts