Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For sale is a Colt Single Action Army chambered in .45 Colt.

Colt is 3rd gen 2006 production.

This Colt is in fantastic mechanical condition with proper index and lock up during the cocking cycle. All four clicks are there that spell the famous four click "Colt" sound during the cocking cycle.

Bore condition is sharp rifling with lots of shine. Chamber condition is excellent.

The finish on this Colt is near new with a mixture of case hardening and bluing. The only detractor to the finish is that there is some light speckling on the rear of the gripstrap as pictured.

What would be the going rate for this gun? Any other advice? Thanks

I
also can buy for about the same money
1873 Single Action Army38 specialVery Good6 shot single action revolver. 5 1/2" barrel with excellent bore and fixed sights. 80% blue on barrel with some light fading and use wear on the ejector rod housing. 60% of case colour on the frame. Steel trigger guard and backstrap with use wear. Checkered hard rubber grips with Colt logo. Manufactured

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The 45 is a more desirable caliber. The price for the second generation (38 spl) is about right from what I've seen=maybe a TAD high but not too much. The shorter barrel on the third generation is a little more desirable. In general, second generations are worth more than thirds. In my opinion, $1800 is pretty high for a third generation. I paid $1200 for each of mine and would put the value more like $1400-$1500 for the 45.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I personally wouldn't pay $1800 for either gun...but about $1500 for the 45 wouldn't be too far out of line. Depends on the part of the country and how bad you want one, I think around $1200 is a good price. Just my 2 Pesos worth.....

Reactions: Stevez

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The OP is from Canada, so the price may be in Canadian dollars, which puts the price a little more than $100.00 US less. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the 38 has been well used. Even so, if it's mechanically sound and tight, and all original finish, I'd probably opt for the 2nd gen.

Best regards,

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
That .45 has back strap wear that doesn't bother me one bit, but I'd pretend it does and offer $1350 for the gun because I'd have to pay to get that refinished to match the rest of the gun, which I'd never really do. Just like those American Pickers guys do, or we all do at gun shows all the time. Point out and exaggerate the "problems" for a lower price. That .45 is actually gorgeous.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well let me impose on you guys one more time. I am also looking at:
1st Generation Colt SAA with a 7 1/2" barrel. Date of manufacture for serial #12XXXX, per the Colt letter dated April 15, 2013 which is included, is 1889. Bore is very good, action works and indexes perfectly. Grips are very good plus with no cracks or chips. This is a beautiful original old Colt that is crisp with perfect markings. No abuse or pits. Colt historical archive letter included.

Any advice here, what should I look for and price. Thanks?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Now, that's a bit better! I would definitely go for the first generation firearm over the second or third generations. Okay, front sight is filed, doesn't look to have much original finish (nickel?), does have a letter and original Eagle grips, and is an antique (pre-1899). Presumably the hammer is original, although it is fairly shiny in the pictures -- however, this is likely the photo and not a replaced (new) hammer. Correct me if I am wrong. I would guess $2100 to $2300 US dollars would be about right, maybe even $2400 or $2500 if you wanted it badly enough.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Yes, hammer appears to be original. Can you post a picture of the barrel markings along the side and/or state what they read? If okay, then maybe see if you can indeed get it for $2500 American. I like the Eagle grips, probably because I have not owned a revolver from the 1880's with Eagle grips, an obvious hole in my collection.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
If you were to shoot it use BLACK POWDER ONLY. Also, the hammer has been replaced, it's blued on the back with polished sides; you don't see this style of hammer until late 1st gen. At well over $3,000.00, with a non-original hammer, that seems a might steep to me; I wouldn't pay that much. Of the three choices which you've presented, IMO the 2nd gen is closest in price to value.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
If you were to shoot it use BLACK POWDER ONLY. Also, the hammer has been replaced, it's blued on the back with polished sides; you don't see this style of hammer until late 1st gen. At well over $3,000.00, with a non-original hammer, that seems a might steep to me; I wouldn't pay that much. Of the three choices which you've presented, IMO the 2nd gen is closest in price to value.

Best regards,
Yes, you are right here. From the first photos, I thought it was replaced. Then I forgot I was looking at a nickel-finished gun. So, a replaced hammer after all! If the barrel is replaced, I would pass on it if much over a grand. $3,000 is steep no matter how you look at it!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I read this all with interest, because I am not a wheel guy, but if the OP is simply looking for an answer to his problem, I think he should buy both of them, take them home, ponder heavily for a day or two, pick the one he likes, and send the other one to me. Or maybe you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.