Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum, contemplating buying a Colt Detective Special and have a question. Some of the modern revolvers have a tranfer bar that provides some protection against accidental firing if dropped. Does the Colt DS have anything like that? Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
The late 1990's Colt stainless steel SF-VI/DS-II/Magnum Carry guns used a transfer bar action.

The older Colt revolvers, including the Detective Special used a different system.

This system is as safe as the transfer bar system, but the transfer bar is cheaper to make, which is why it's now used on all newer revolvers.

In the older Colt revolvers, the hammer has a double rebound/block + block system.
When the gun is fired and the trigger is released, the hammer is pulled back from the cartridge, (rebounded) and a steel block prevents the hammer from moving forward unless the trigger is pulled.

In addition, in a sort of "belt and Suspenders" system, a separate, additional steel block is placed in front of the hammer.

In this very safe system, the gun CANNOT fire unless the trigger is deliberately pulled. No amount of dropping or rough treatment will cause it to fire.

If the gun were dropped on the hammer, in order for the gun to fire, the rebound/block would have to break, THEN the extra block would have to break.
Since both are hardened steel, this is for all practical purposes, impossible.

I once read a test of an older Colt revolver, in which a blank cartridge was loaded and the hammer was repeatedly struck hard blows with a hammer.

The rebound/block was badly battered, but never failed, the second block was untouched. The hammer finally shattered but the gun never fired.

This type of revolver safety system was invented about 100 years ago, and all "bugs" were discovered and corrected many years ago.

The only reason Colt changed their revolvers to the transfer bar, was simple cost....the transfer bar system requires less hand fitting, and is therefore is cheaper to build.

The Colt Detective Special is as safe as any transfer bar system.
There is NO known case of a Colt revolver safety system failing.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Dfariswheel, on one of the "other" forums someone told a story of a DS being dropped from a vehicle and it fired. When I questioned it, knowing it was virtually impossible, I got no replies. It's amazing all the stories floating around conceived only in minds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dfariswheel,

Thank you for the lesson, that was exactly the information for which I was looking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts