Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't have a recent Blue Book,as I prefer to use the internet for "real world pricing". But I can't find any SECOND GENERATION Colt .44 Specials up for sale/auction.

Have seen one in 95-98% shape,no box,B/CH with 7.5" bbl,but not inspected it for proper serial # range per Garton's book,and matching numbers,to make sure that it left Hartford as a .44,and is not a "conversion" Does appear to have the correct NON Eagle h/r stocks.

Be used strictly as a shooter,to go along with my 2nd Gen .38 and .45 SAAs. Other than a dual cylindered .44 Special/44/40 N.F. with 4/75" bbl,I bought new(and had to "gunsmith to get to function correctly!),I won't touch a 3rd Gen(or later SAA).A third Gen. 44 Special 5.5" I had was horrible in fit and finish.

Any up to date prices would be appreciated,so I can compare it with sellers asking price. Who knows,am gonna hit a couple of other shops tomorrow PM,and might find something else,and blow my "stache of gun$$" on that,but I am interested in this Colt.

Thanks,
Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting! and thanks! the first revolver is from Maine,where I live,but don't recognize the seller. May be in this shop on consignment. The stocks fit like crap on that gun in the photo-and may be aftermarket repos!

The prices for BOTH these guns seem a little LOW to me-BUT,it appears since neither is NIB,the "serious" collectors are ignoring them,despite the relative rarity of 2nd Gen. .44 Specials.

Second gun looks like it would be a helluva shooter in CASS events,and time you bought a well made clone,and it "tuned",for a few hundred more you could have a genuine Colt SAA 2nd!

I maybe gettin old-BUT it was less than 15-20 years ago,when "shooter" quality FIRST generation Colts,some rebarrelled,could be gotten for well under a $1000. Price them today!!! So,maybe I am NOT as "nuts" to look for "shooter grade" 2nd Gens. Might as well shoot em'-enjoy em' as I ain't gonna live long enuf' to profit from their price increases some years down the road.

Thanks again,and I will try to get a look at that SAA tomorrow.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Blue Book

Early 2nd 0001SA to 39000SA

98%=$1750
95%=$1350

Mid-range 2nd 39000SA to 70055SA

98%=$1500
95%=$1225

No late 44's apparently.

HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.