Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've baked on the Brownell's Matte Black finish and it looks pretty good on my Old Cobra. I have two problem spots I need advise on.
First the ejector rod. The Bake on finish peels away every time I pump the ejector rod. But it sticks a little so I'll probably remove the finish. Suggestion on how to do it without removing any metal or buggering up the rod?

Second the finish is on the cylinder assembly portion that slides into the frame. The tolerances are pretty tight to it's dragging as it goes in. I don't feel comfortable with that so I'd like to remove it also. Again advise on how not to bugger anything up is appreciated.

As I said in a differnt post it now looks like a polished Commando so the effort wasn't a terrible waste of time.

Third question. Interior parts have zero finish. Besides the necessary light oil does the inside of the Colt need a finish???

Whoever took off her bluing did a heckuva thorough job. Except for some old boogers from drops she's clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Martin,

I don't think is what you meant but just to be on the safe side. I would not put that Brownell's finish on the inside. The tolerences just won't allow for it. But I think you knew that already. I'm just up I-10 from you and carry a Cobra for my CCW. I use Corrosion-X on all my guns and I've never had any rust on or in them. I couldn't recommend it more. If you do a search for Corrosion-X we had a long discussion about this type of stuff earlier this year. Someone had a link to a test someone ran on the rust inhibitor oils and other products. Basically if you're going to handle it stay away from the silicon based stuff and go with something like Corrosion-X. There were some other products that performed real well but I can't recall their names.

I'm interested in seeing what the Cobra looks like with a spray can finish /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif so post pictures please.

Dave

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
Re: Need Brownell\'s Bake-on Advise??

The interior needs no finish other than a coat of a good rust proof lube like CLP Breakfree or the Corrosion-X as recommended above.

I'd look on the Brownell's can for any detail on removal, or just email Brownell's.
It may be an epoxy.
In any case, there'll be some type of paint remover that will break it down without damaging the metal.

Simply apply that chemical with an artist's brush to ONLY the areas you want to remove the finish from, and take care not to allow it to touch anywhere else.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cleaned her up some

I used some automotive sandpaper and a fingernail to remove the bake on finish on Ejector rod and the crane's portion that slides into the frame.

I didn't even think about the crane's tolerances when I applied to to that section!! DOH !

Anyway it came off pretty easily so I think I may need to re-heat and apply another layer of bake-on and THIS time keep it in a warner spot to cure.

Most of the finish looks pretty good. Like I said almost a polished Colt Commando. I'll take some pics then figure out how to post here. It'd still eating at me to have PAINTED a Colt but I couldn't stand to see the old girl naked and defenseless.

I like the "Never Argue with an Idiot" quote!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Re: Cleaned her up some

I'd be interested to see the final product. I know where there is a cobra with litterally no finish left that I could acquire for VERY little cash. If I could refinish it inexpensively it would make a great shooter.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: Cleaned her up some

Thanks Robin. Don't forget pictures!

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
D-frame BUY IT

D-frame but that finish worn colt! This is an easy route.

I may pop for the do it yourself'ers kit from Dura Coat next time around. price isn't m,uch more and I already have a couple of weapons duracoated.

BTW I like the look of this finish better than the duracoat but only time will tell on durability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts